Thread: New addition, Hyla Cinerea

Default New addition, Hyla Cinerea

I finally picked up an inhabitant for my empty vivarium, an American Green Treefrog. It's spending the daytime in hiding, but comes out in the evenings ready to eat. It's about 3cm (or 1.25") vent to snout. I haven't had much time to catch it in the open for pictures, and it's still settling in so I'm not willing to take it out for a photo shoot, so just one shot so far:

Pics of his home below:

http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...-enclosed.html

I've since added magnolia leaves for a nicer looking leaf litter. One of the ivys bought it, the other is thriving. The pothos is growing but slowly. It is only a 13 gallon, but I'll probably start working on a larger viv in case it does much growing (or in case I pick up a tankmate)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

passon13

Default Re: New addition, Hyla Cinerea

awesome! i got one about a month ago, i named it botanicus ha ha... mine doesnt have as much defined white stripe as i have seen on others... your's is really nice what does the setup look like?

Mine has no name yet, and seems to be adjusting well. I'm pleasantly surprised at how variable its colour is, from a pale limey green to a pretty dark brown

There's a link in my first post to the vivarium

Jace

Great looking frog, Brian! Do you know whether it is a male or female yet? I love hearing my Rongo call, though he can get pretty dang loud at 3 AM. Congrats on the new addition.

Kurt

Congrats on the new addition. I have had mine for five years now.

I have no idea if it's male or female. The clues I know are males tend to be smaller, and are baggy under the throat. If it sings it's a male. If it lays eggs it's a female (not likely to occur as I only have one). The throat does have some slack (picture attached), but it doesn't appear conclusive at this point to be a male. I don't really know enough about them.

Anything else I should look for? I could set up two little outhouses with male and female signs on their doors and see which one it uses? The piece of dirt on it's neck also points to male?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jace

Lol-great idea on the outhouses...but probably not going to help here! I got Rongo to call the first night by giving him a really heavy misting. Half an hour later, the calling started and he now calls on a very regular basis.

Thread Information