Thread: Earthworms for food?

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Earthworms for food?

I just bought my frog some earthworms to eat instead of locusts for a change. I was just wondering out of interest how healthy these are for him. I know some worms can be quite bad. However if he likes them and they aren't that bad im considering using worms imstead of crickets and things (im such a wuss and they creep me out now he is on larger sized insects). So should these worms just be a treat? or could i use them regularly?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Greg M

Default Re: Earthworms for food?

I use nightcrawlers as a staple for horned frogs, along with Dubia roaches (and crickets when the frogs are babies). I believe red wrigglers are fine, too, although they can gives off a yellowish unpleasant liquid when bitten (this is not harmful). My understanding is that earthworms are a great staple for these guys...

Myles

my pac loves knight crawlers

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

what are nightcrawlers? i know im guna sound stupid but ive only heard of them on here, can you only get them in america because ive not seen them in any shops here.

Malachi

A large earthworm species in north america.

I think John (Clare) knows if you can get them or what worms you can get.

Digital

This is what it says in the Wikipedia, lol.

"Nightcrawlers are a form of earthworm. Prized primarily for use as fishing bait, nightcrawlers are generally known as either Canadian or European
    Canadian nightcrawlers are the larger of the two, measuring up to 14 inches (35.6 cm) when fully extended. Fishermen enjoy the Canadian worm more because of its size. It can be easily secured to a fish hook, and stays lively while submerged in water for up to 5 minutes. The Canadian nightcrawler is used for catching largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, carp, trout, catfish, sunfish, walleye, and other freshwater fish. The Canadian nightcrawler will not survive in temperatures above about 65 °F (18.3 °C). Therefore, bait shops must keep them refrigerated and attention must be given to ensure that the worms are not left to rest in the hot sun while fishing."

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Thanks thats my knowledge upgraded

Quote Originally Posted by AlbinoFroggy View Post
    what are nightcrawlers? i know im guna sound stupid but ive only heard of them on here, can you only get them in america because ive not seen them in any shops here.
    My toad loves nightcrawlers as well. He waits at night sitting by the door of the terrarium waiting for me to feed him. Funny thing is. I open the door and he never tries to escape. he just waits for the food then goes back to hiding. If you don't feed him. he stares at you all night. lol. Seriously. Anywho
    Nightcrawlers:
    Large canadian earthworms, they come in small packages and can be found in walmart in the freezers in the fishing section. They are HUGE and I mean HUGE!!!! My toad is like 3.2inches long and he eats one up completely. He can't take more than one or he gets diareah. I sometimes have to cut em in half for him cause they try to escape from his mouth(hes a small toad so yeah). Personally Id feed him garden worms if I could. But Iam too lazy to find a store that has em. I just breed these worms and they last me like a few months give or take.

Kevin1

I've noticed the same problem with diarrhea and earthworms. Earthworms lack roughage. I fed other foods with the nightcrawlers to offset it. Besides European and Canadian nightcrawlers, there are also African nightcrawlers which are the middle sized nightcrawler of the three. The African species is the least cold tolerant, Canadians are the least heat tolerant, and Euro's are in between.

Thread Information