Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My ADFs: Zig & Zag

1buscemi

Default My ADFs: Zig & Zag

Jenste, I hope you see this!!

So this is for my froggies Zig and Zag. They are doing much better now that I changed their environment a little.

I kept the same tank (2G) and added a water heater
    I changed the water, so now it is fresh and clean
    I have a bottle of stress coat and dechlorinator
    I got them some new food pellets.

The dechlorinator the pet stroe had and reccommended looks like iodine, i used it the other day and I had to clean the whole tank. It made the water nasty, the directions suggested 2-4 drops/g so I used 6 drops,and it still made the water tinted iodine-like.

Is this normal?
    Should I use less of it?
    Should I change the product?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My ADFs: Zig & Zag

all dechlorinators I have used are clear - I am not aware of ones that are tinted. Maybe another member on here has used a similar type. May I ask what brand you bought?

and yay on happy froggies! (Zig and Zag are very cute names!!!)

any chance for pictures

1buscemi

Awww thank you :-)

The dechlorinator is called ACUREL F.

Pictures are def coming soon. Now that their tank is clean I will be able to see them more, especially since they are actually moving around now :-)

1buscemi

I need to put a heater in the tank, but the one I have makes the water too hot. What kind of heater would you suggest?

I have another tank, that's glass, not sure how big it is, but I may be switching them into that one. I think that finding a heater for the larger tank, that's glass, may be easier

FrogFarm

I would definitely suggest switching to a larger tank. In my opinion, glass is just... better.
    As you said, it also makes it easier to use the heater. Not only this, but you can install a good filter so that you don't have to do such frequent water changes and your frogs have a lot more room to play! Again just my opinion. Most suggest having at least 2.5 gallons per frog.

I've used tinted dechlorinators before but they never tinted the water, I haven't heard of the brand you're using.

1buscemi

hey everyone!! Happy New Year!!!

I was finally able to get pictures of Zig and Zag!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

1buscemi

its hard to tell in the pictures but, Zig is the boy, and Zag is the girl :-)

Nationality
    [United States]

They look great, and I'm sure they'll love the new and bigger tank.
    Just as a heads-up, Acurel F is not a dechlorinator. It sounds like it is somehow intended to remove particulates?
    http://www.petco.com/product/4278/Acurel-F-25.aspx

I actually have a bottle of it from when I took in a friend's fish tank, but I've never used it. I use API's water conditioner to remove chlorine from tap water. Just look for anything that says it removes chlorine on its label.

1buscemi

Wow thank you for telling me that!!! I haven't used it since the last time i put it in the tank. I also have Stress Coat with the water conditioner in it. It seems to be working well, I used it when I cleaned the tank and every 3-4 days Ill put it in, to keep the water clear...

it is called: API Stress Coat fish and tap water conditioner
    it has aloe vera; the bottle claims it removes chlorine and neutralizes the water.

the water is still clean and Zig and Zag are back to normal, swimming like crazy and eating all of their food I am VERY happy!!

FrogFarm

I use a few brands of dechlorinator, the most common of which, I think, is Betta Plus.
    They're sure cute!
    Good luck with them.

1buscemi

Hey everyone...So I have something I would like to ask...this may sound ridiculous but please bear with me...

How will I know if Zig and Zag are breeding?

For the past couple of weeks they have been all over each other...on top of one another...is this just how they play or is it a sign that they are breeding?

1buscemi

Hey everyone...

So I have been toying with the idea of getting a snail for the bottom of the tank....I have a friend who has the same frogs and she has a snail that cleans the tank floor and ornaments so she does not need to clean it as often...

is this a good idea?
    what type of snail do I get? is it any type of aquatic snail?

Appreciate it

Nationality
    [Canada]

You should do a search on it. Jenna posted a compelling horror story a while back. Just not worth it.

1buscemi

thank you for your input....who is jenna??

why do you say it is a bad idea? I cant find the thread you were talking about.

anyways....thanks again

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm Jenna

here is the thread he is referring to - - I nearly lost an ACF from a snail - and not because the snail had tried to eat it as most would guess.

Pics included...heads up, they do bother some people with weaker stomachs

http://www.frogforum.net/aquatic-cla...r-my-frog.html

1buscemi

Oh my goodness!!!! that is awful...definitely not getting a snail now...especially since everyone in my house is out most of the day....I dont know what I would do if I came home and saw that.... I hope he is better now...

Nationality
    [United States]

He is completely healed now and my house is 100% snail free!

I am just glad I came right home that day...if I had stopped at the grocery store like I usually do after work to pick up meat for dinner he most likely would have drowned before I could have gotten to him. (we had originally had plans to go out to dinner that night - we ended up ordering in!)

Sometimes it is better to be safe than sorry! I don't mind putting in a little extra work to get rid of a teeny bit of algae anymore lol. And I find that having a fair amount of live plants in the tank diminish your algae colony - the plants feed off of the same thing the algae does, therefore not leaving any food behind for algae to grow off of

1buscemi

So i went to the pet store this morning to get some more blood worms and saw what brine shrimp looked like. I had read from a couple of places that brine shrimp are appropriate for adf diets so i was wondering how you feed them to the frogs. Do you crush them up or cut them because the ones they had were in clumps and really big.

Does anyone know anything about feeding adf's brine shrimp?

1buscemi

Hey everyone....the tank has been upgraded to a 5 gallon, with a filter..I am very excited about and loving the way it looks. Zig and Zag are swimming like little monsters and have the time of their lives!!!

1buscemi

Here are some new pictures!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information