Thread: Hanging planter

HerpDerp

Default Hanging planter

So I decide I would be frugal and try to come up with a way to build a hanging planter for my viv without spending a ton of money. I decided to buy one of thos little shower caddies with the suction cups.

It had a lot of holes in it to allow for water drainage so I used my leftover screen from building my false bottom to line the inside. I used potting soil on the bottom and cocofiber on top to create a barrier between the soil and the frog. For the plant I used rope hoya. Here are some pictures:
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1353107538666.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  49.5 KB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1353107561846.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  44.5 KB
    Don't mind the water spots! The onlu problem is that the suction cups don't stay very well. It fell once already so I've got it just off the bottom so it doesn't fall on poor Glurmo! Any suggestions to get it to stay? I thought of getting some super strong magnets. Thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Hanging planter

very cool!! great idea. very creative and yes, i do have an idea for you. super glue. it is safe, it becomes inert once it dries. you can even use it under water. i used to use it a lot to attach aquatic plants and mosses to driftwood and rocks. now i primarily use it to hold items that are held by suction cups to my tanks. stuff like bubble counters for co2 are a pain because of the co2 tubing, they want to go this way and that and fall off all the time. a drop or two of crazy glue on the suction cup and it hasn't moved in 6 months. to remove it, just use a razor blade. otherwise earth magnets will be strong enough, but a bit pricey.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Wicked frogs

I like your idea and it came out nice. I see you are from the great State Of MAINE, hello from Boston about your suction cups make sure the glass is clean same with your cups a little spit or water (not too much) should do the trick if not head to a ac.moore or a artsy type store even a dollar tree has them just rip em off of a fake plant and a lil super glue im sure will work great.

HerpDerp

Thanks! Being cheap sometimes turns out pretty well! The problem is, I want to be able to move it from time to time if I need to transplant or if I'm rearranging. I think I'm going to buy a second one and put some goldfish plant clippings in it. They grow like weeds! The "planter" was only $2 so the price of the earth magnets wont hurt AS bad. It looks like my only option!

And hello from Maine, Tim. Lucky you, Boston pet stores are my favorite for finding unusual animals!

Wicked frogs

Sounds like a good plan and honestly my fav store is in New Hampshire (ZOO CREATURES) love the alligator and turtle they have out in the summer time and they just built a cool pond for frogs and fish in the middle of the parking lot!!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by HerpDerp View Post
    So I decide I would be frugal and try to come up with a way to build a hanging planter for my viv without spending a ton of money. I decided to buy one of thos little shower caddies with the suction cups.

It had a lot of holes in it to allow for water drainage so I used my leftover screen from building my false bottom to line the inside. I used potting soil on the bottom and cocofiber on top to create a barrier between the soil and the frog. For the plant I used rope hoya. Here are some pictures:
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1353107538666.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  49.5 KB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1353107561846.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  44.5 KB
    Don't mind the water spots! The onlu problem is that the suction cups don't stay very well. It fell once already so I've got it just off the bottom so it doesn't fall on poor Glurmo! Any suggestions to get it to stay? I thought of getting some super strong magnets. Thoughts?
    Hi Michelle,
    I used aquarium silicone. However, I don't know if it will stick to the plastic shower basket? Plus you would have to remove the frogs while it dries.
    Of course, using silicone is a permanent solution. I tried adding magnets to my planters prior to using silicone; they rusted. The stainless magnets are $$. I ended up using silicone because of the weight. As the plants grew some got very heavy. Like you mention - you don't want any accidents.
    It's a great idea! You could even line the plant holder( or line lighter weight clear planters/ bath basket) w/ a coco pot. It would help hold the soil in and look really nice.

Once I was tempted to use an entire stainless steal shower basket ( you know the ones that hang from the shower head ). I never really put any effort into trying to hang it with out destroying the enclosure top. Cheap stainless shower curtain rings work great for suspending the ( ie pothos) vines!!! They don't rust. They are about 2.50 at the supermarket.-usually hanging above the shelves in the pharmacy isle.

Our enclosures are like piggy banks! Except you can't get the $$ back out !!!!

Have fun! You have the knack , ingenious idea
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Lynn is always trying to one up me....don't listen to her girlfriend, krazy glue is the bomb......LOL actually silicone works very well, i have seen it used to hold planters up before. the downside, like Lynn said, is that Glurmo would need a new home in the meantime
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

HerpDerp

Thanks for the ideas guys! I ended up getting a couple ceramic block magnets at the hardware store since that's all they had for magnets. They're doing the job for now but if Glurmo decides to climb on top of it I think it will slide to the bottom. But at least it wont fall! I'm thinking of ordering earth magnets online at some point. The would definitely do a better job! Oh and to keep the magnets from scratching the glass I covered them in clear packing tape. I was pretty proud of that idea LOL.

Thread Information