Thread: Extremely perplexed with my Gray Tree frogs

charlamanda

Default Extremely perplexed with my Gray Tree frogs

I am extremely perplexed over the size of 3 of my Gray Tree Froglets.
    I just don't understand why they are still so small?
    As most of you have know this past summer my closed pool was hedonism for the local adult Gray Tree frog population. Having incredibly lousy parental instincts I was left to tend to them, all 1,000 plus, that took over my yard, deck and house. Since they hung around for months I took in several of the remaining froglets for pets.
    I have 13 in two separate tanks that are identically set up, one being 10 gal and the other a 33 gal tank.
    I originally had 10 in the big tank, but 8 of them grew really fast and are mostly around 2" , just about adult size, but 2 were still really tiny, about 1". When it came to dinner time I continued to take then out in a separate container for dinner so I could make sure they were eating. They were, but after grabbing a cricket or two they would both climb to the top of the container while the others continued to eat for another 10-15 minutes.
    I decided to take the two out and put them in with the 3, 1/2" froglets that were closer to their size, they being just slightly larger. They seem much happier and the smaller froglets seem to love the larger of the two, Dorian II, who is about 1" and is calling! Odd since he is tiny, very tiny compared to the 2"+ frogs calling in the other tank.
    It seems that size isn't necessasarily a factor, but age is. They are all about the same age, but the size difference is buggin me!
    So finally we get to the questions...
    *Is there or can there be dwarfism in Gray Tree frogs or any frog for that matter?
    *Can there be or is there an alternate explanation for the abnormal small size of 3 of my frogs?
    Keep in mind that one of the three really tiny frogs, <1/2", is Baby the extremely emaciated frog I rescued. Oddly he, I think he's male..call it a hunch, is that largest of the 3. All three are small enough they can sit comfortablly on the tips of my fingers.
    Here are a few pics I've taken on different days showing how the 3 small frogs, Hoppy, Baby and Shadoobie, seem to gravitate to Dorian II, about 1" and the larger of the 2 larger frogs in with them. Keep in mind again he has been calling regularly.
    *Is or could his calling be the reason the others are so enamored with him?
    The other one I transferred from the larger tank, Jennifer, who is slightly bigger than Baby, keeps to herself, is basically ingnored and unaffected by Dorians' calling.
    Lastly...besides Dorian II in the small tank, there are 3 or more now calling in the larger tank, mostly all random at anytime day or night. It's actually not as bad as I thought it would be and is quite pleasant. We call back to them for incouragement, it's kind of fun.
    Anyway besides the occasional calls, they are now calling to certain sounds. If the phone rings they answer it!LOL Last pm my Persian, Mush, was howling like a ban chi and all the frogs all at once called back to him every time he screeched. It was so funny and odd, since his meowing sounds nothing like a frog call, yet every time Mush let out a howl they ALL called back together! I am so shocked, amused and confused by this!
    *Anyone have any thoughts on this one? I'm stumped!
    Thanks for any info for thoughts
    Pic #1-Shadoobie sitting on Dorian II
    Pic #2-Baby on Dorian II
    Pic #3-Baby(back left), Hoppy (right) and Shadoobie (front)
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Extremely perplexed with my Gray Tree frogs

They are so cute.
    I have one that is growing way too slow for me too. All three were the same size when received and three are huge and one isn't much bigger than when I got him. And he eats like a frog :-) Fat and happy.

charlamanda

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    They are so cute.
    I have one that is growing way too slow for me too. All three were the same size when received and three are huge and one isn't much bigger than when I got him. And he eats like a frog :-) Fat and happy.
    Thanks, they are so cute when they are this small.
    It's a bit disconcerting when they aren't growing at the same rate even though they are all the same age and under the same basic conditions. ***Hopefully someone will help us and explain why this is happening. Mine are drastically different in size and although they appear to be healthy it's concerning me somewhat. (I'll try to get a few pics of my largest frog/frogs next to the smallest one for comparison, the difference is mind blowing)
    It's difficult to tell in the pics how tiny they really are, they are just about 1/2". Oddly they love to perch on top of, next to or underneath Dorian II, BTW I borrowed the name from a clever frog owner who's Dorian passed..RIP, and yesterday he was hanging on the side of the tank, from the lip of the tank, and the other frog Shadoobie, the one who's completely enamored with him, snuggled between him and the glass under his belly. It was so odd, but they stayed like this, pic's #- 1 & 2, for a hour or two. I've never seen them do this. They have plentyof room in this tank and yet all three of the little froglets, Baby, Hoppy and Shadoobie, stay very close to Dorian II.
    *Anyone have any insight on or about this?
    Here are a few more pics.
    Pic #1- Dorian II with Shadoobie under his belly
    Pic #2- Dorian II with Shadoobie under his belly and Jennifer to the right
    Pic #3- Dorian II with his foot on Baby, to right, Hoppy & Shadoobie on top/lip of tank

charlamanda

Update. Finally the three tiny frogs are having a amazing growth spurt. Baby has more than doubled his size in about a week...I can't beleive it and don't understand it. I just don't get it for the longest time they just weren't growing at all, but all of a sudden...they are now growing really fast. They are also eating a lot of crickets. I fill a cricket bowl, I leave in their tank, every other day with about 20+ tiny crickets, by the next day there are maybe 2-5 left. When I fill the cricket bowl up I also drop in a few hundred fruit flies too.
    Here's a pic of Baby a couple of days a go.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Very Cute and we like growth spurts. My littlest looks like a parade balloon after a meal sometimes.

:-)

froggiez

they are soo cute!

Thread Information