Thread: Recommendation on substrate

ArchGrammarian

Default Recommendation on substrate

Hello to all,

I've been using a generic tropical soil (with coco-fiber) substrate with some success. It allows my frogs to burrow and does well to help maintain humidity in the terrarium. My only problem is that, like any soils of which I'm aware, the soil clumps together in humid conditions. This would be no problem except for the fact that the soil clings to both the frog and the larger food items I offer my frogs.

I know I can remove the frogs for feeding time, but for the sake of asking, I have to ask: given the problem I've described, can anyone give me a recommendation for a more suitable substrate for my two Pac-mans?

Per usual, I appreciate your feedback

Kyle

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

onedge30

Default Re: Recommendation on substrate

I would think that most of us are using straight coco fiber. Like Eco Earth, T-rex forest bedding or Zilla Coconut husk bedding. I think one of the main reasons is that it is digestible.

For quantity, I just found Coco Tek at the hydroponic store for like half the regular price of Eco Earth.

Digital

I actually like the T-Rex jungle bedding the most. It doesn't have the problem of sticking to the food you feed to the pacman(s). I drop a all the food right infront of him and I never had the soil stick to his meals. Also it doesn't clump up when moist, it actually just falls apart when you pick it up, kind like sand. The best store I found for cheap bedding is LLLReptile.com, if you order a couple bags or bricks (whatever you prefer) it's a good price.

Kevin1

Doesn't that jungle bedding have small sticks in it? Maybe I'm thinking of forest floor..

Digital

It does, but if you do like I did. You won't need to worry, about it. I took a pasta drainer and just add little and shake it over a bucket, then just pick out the little ones that fall through. Problem solved, lol. Plus when I got my pac man it was on black friday and my girlfriend got me the only substrates she could find in the store.

Kevin1

Good Idea Scott.

Thread Information