Thread: American bullfrog-Should i get one?

Default American bullfrog-Should i get one?

Should i get an american? i have a african and want a american or albino but i keep hearing they are not good in captivity and they require a large cage. for one how big would the cage be and can they eat roaches?
    African Bullfrogs, Clawed Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Bearded Dragons,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Digital

Default Re: American bullfrog-Should i get one?

Not sure how big of a tank you would need for it. But yes, they will eat roaches. They will eat anything they can catch and that will fit in their mouths basically.

Jace

I have an American Bullfrog that I raised from a tadpole, and she is incredibly skittish. Right now, she is still small, but I have a 44 gallon tank lined up for when she gets bigger. I am hoping that will be big enough. They need lots of room, a half and half setup, heavily planted and big food items eventually. So far, Poe has proven to be really tough and relatively easy to care for, though I am concern about giving her enough space. Much more active than any of my African Bullfrogs and way hungrier!!

Digital

When I had my adult male, he would eat like 30 large crickets every 3 days. Those guys will eat them self to death if you let them.

i have feeder rats can they eat mice every month or is it different the africans

Jace

I don't feed my Africans mice at all, and I won't with my American as well. But I do know that American Bullfrogs will eat anything they can fit in their mouths, including rodents, other amphibians, baby birds and even small lizards.

Iratus ranunculus

Mine have... well, a 2 meter diameter circular stock tank with a small pre-form pond in the center, with the rest lined with organic peat. Then again, i have three adults (with room to grow the collection) and want to breed them.

A big sexy adult would probably be fine in a 40 gallon tank. They dont really need a half and half setup, just a spot they can climb out of the water and maybe burrow. I have successfully used big planted flower pots for that (just dont get one with a drainage hole in the middle)

They are messy, so you want good filtration. Depending on what you are using for caging, this can be really really easy. Take a pump. Hook it up to a hose, with a piece of PVC pipe attached to the end. Then get a 5 gallon bucket and put the pipe in. Then fill the bucket with a layer of sand (fine aquarium sand), then charcoal, then gravel, then filter floss. Cut a notch into the top of the bucket, or cut a hole near the top. Cutting a hole is better. Run a larger tube than you used for the inflow in that hole and seal the edges with silicon.

All you need to do is keep the top of that bucket above the top of your tank, and run the tubes in and out (The pump will need to be inside the tank). Congrats, you have a home-made external canister filter.

Substrate: Fine aquarium--the premium stuff with really really fine granule size is ideal. These guys prefer soft-bottomed ponds.

For aquatic plants, I recommend water hyacinth, water lilies, and whatever aquatic plants you can collect from a pond. Make sure any wild collected plants have been rinsed off and soaked in salt water for say, two hours. It should kill most parasites, but the plants will recover. Anything that needs roots should be potted, or the frogs will play interior-decorator from Hades.

Terrestrial substrate: Your land area should have some of that nice eco-earth stuff, with a thick layer of moss on top.

Terrestrial plants: Pothos. Lots and lots of Pothos.

Food: My little ones get crickets and other small insects, vitamin dusted. Adults get Dubai Roaches, Tobacco Horn Worms, and the occasional fuzzy mouse (used to bring weight up after hibernation, or if their weight drops for some reason) Breeding your own dubai roaches is easy. They are live bearers so you can just stick them in a container with some oatmeal as a substrate with some egg crate. Use fish flakes and fruit for food, and cricket water gel for hydration. They will breed like mad, and you dont have to worry about egg incubation.

i already have a dubia colony so that will work out well but the cage size is a little big for me is one in a 20 gal be ok?

Iratus ranunculus

Quote Originally Posted by willtilian View Post
    i already have a dubia colony so that will work out well but the cage size is a little big for me is one in a 20 gal be ok?
    For a juvenile? Yeah. An adult will need something bigger unless you get really really clever with your design (Like constructing an over-hanging land area)

If you dont have space for a forty gallon, I would go with a couple of leopard frogs. Similar care requirements, but much smaller.

iatakden

I have one rasied from tadpole almost 1 year old now. He is alone in a 100% live plant Terrarium and as some one said very skittish. He eats about 3 gold fish a day and is well in my eyes cool to look at .

They do need a lot of room just a FYI !

I have had my american bullfrog "Frogger" for about year and "Frogett" for about 6 months. Frogett eats alot but the other one only eats about a cricket a day. I think it depends on the frog. I cought them both in the wild. However, certain bullfrogs, depending on how long they stay in their tadpole stage, aren't as big as others. I can allready tell that Frogett will be a larger bullfrog than Frogger ever thought about being. I feed both calcium and vitamin coated crickets and keep them in seperate tanks, a 20 and 10 gallon tank set up as half and half, water/land.

Thread Information