Thread: My fire belly is sick!!??

Bfulfitt

Default My fire belly is sick!!??

Hi guys, the past few days my toads had what i can only descirbe as a white lump on his/her vent, does anyone kno what it is? overall "ferb" seems in good health (eating fine, active) but this hasnt gone away, please can someone tell me what it is?
    many thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bfulfitt

Default Re: My fire belly is sick!!??

9 views and no comments, PLEEAAAAASSSE! i dont want the little guy to get worse if die

Tony

It is a prolapsed rectum.

Ribbitmethis

Here's some info on prolapse:

From

http://www.geocities.com/tozgood/disease.html

Prolapse of the Intestines or Gonads

What is it?

Prolapse can be a very scary thing for many frog owners the first time. I, for one, have experienced this problem with my horned frog. Here's the scenario. You just got done feeding your frog a nice sized mouse or even some crickets. You awake next morning to see your frogs "insides" hanging out of its rectum. Gross? Yes! Scary? Can be. Curable? Definitely. Prolapse is the result of either substrate swallowed wrong, a too large of a meal, or for no reason at all.

Symptoms

-Pink, fleshy tissue hanging out of thee frogs rectum. Either could be its intestines or gonads.

Treatments

Prolapse can be treated at home or by a vet. Before you do anything, bring your frog to the vet first to check it out. That's always the safest route. If a vet is not accessible, there is a way you can push the intestines or gonads back in. This is very risky and should not be tried by anyone. I personally would not do this because I would fear of injuring my frog. But here's how you do it. Be sure to keep the protruding tissue moist; some people recommend using a sugar water solution to shrink the tissue. Using a wet Q-tip, gently coax/push the hanging tissue back in the rectum without twisting the tissue. This method may work in minor cases, but may reoccur. So again, it is best to see a vet on this one. If it is the gonads that are protruding, this method may not even work at all and a vet is a must see. Prolapsed gonads usually need to be removed.

Prevention

Prolapsed intestines/gonads can occur for no reason at all. Or it can occur because of large meals or food/substrate that gets digested improperly. My advice to you is to feed your frog in small quantities and do not feed it anything it cannot swallow. Meaning, don't force feed it something it can't fit inside its mouth.

6. This member thanks Ribbitmethis for this post:

Bfulfitt

right i kno it says not to attempt this yourself, but ive managed to coax it almost all the way back in and am going to give it a second attempt tomoro as to not stress him out to much, thanks for the replies guys
    many thanks

Thread Information