Thread: Toad Emergency!!! skin condition with wounds just showed up today!

Sugar

Default Toad Emergency!!! skin condition with wounds just showed up today!

Hi

I have (had) two scaphiopus couchii (couch's spadefoot toads). One of them passed away today. I just found her extremely bloated in her tank. She's quite red and wounded.

Her tank mate is now showing the same red skin.

I have transferred her to a quarantine chamber.

The tank they were sharing was 50% coconut substrate and 50% play sand, damp but not too moist. There's plenty of ventilation as they are in a 10 gallon tank with a screen top. Further, i have a layer of gravel below the substrate that acts as a drainage layer just in case.

I want to apply something to her wounds. I was thinking an extremely dilute chlorhexidine solution or neosporin.

Please help?

she's very alert and looks much better than the other toad.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Toad Emergency!!! skin condition with wounds just showed up today!

Sorry to hear about your toad

Paul has written a great first aid guide for frogs and toads. You can access it through the links on the left. It will help you with some basic treatments. Good luck!
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

4. This member thanks tgampper for this post:

Iratus ranunculus

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Hi

I have (had) two scaphiopus couchii (couch's spadefoot toads). One of them passed away today. I just found her extremely bloated in her tank. She's quite red and wounded.

Her tank mate is now showing the same red skin.

I have transferred her to a quarantine chamber.

The tank they were sharing was 50% coconut substrate and 50% play sand, damp but not too moist. There's plenty of ventilation as they are in a 10 gallon tank with a screen top. Further, i have a layer of gravel below the substrate that acts as a drainage layer just in case.

I want to apply something to her wounds. I was thinking an extremely dilute chlorhexidine solution or neosporin.

Please help?

she's very alert and looks much better than the other toad.
    It is probably an opportunistic red-leg infection. It tends to progress rapidly. If you have pictures I could be more certain.

Keep a good watch on your frog. Pick him up occassionally and check for redness in the thighs, and for water buildup between the muscles in the legs and the skin. If you see symptoms, get them into a a 1-1.2% solution of aquarium salt (10-12 grams per liter). That will bring their water retention under control (but they wont like it at all).

Once you get some, treat them in a 5% (5 g/L) salt solution and 10mg/l of tetracycline. Made fresh once daily.

Best you can do without a vet...

Sugar

Hi,

The remaining toad improved considerably but unfortunately succumbed to sepsis (i'm guessing). It super sucks. :[

Thank you so much for your response though.

Thread Information