Thread: New member with a dumpy problem..!

Cactusnicola

Default New member with a dumpy problem..!

Hi

I've just joined this site (when I happened across it looking for info on Peabody's problem), and read the thread about the tanzanian running frogs which was excellent - I have one and he's really shy and had to be separated from the whites who really overwhelmed him. Since then he's in with a load of other tree frogs and loves it and is much more himself. Anyway, one of my dumpy frogs, Peabody, has recently accumulated a small, what looks like patch of rust, on his lip. I thought at first it was just a piece of moss or soil, but it's definitely attached. Try as I might I cannot find any info about anything similar and in himself he seems generally fine and is behaving/looking/eating as normal. Does anyone know what this could be or what I could do to fix/help him?

Thanks
    Cactusnicola

Kurt

Default Re: New member with a dumpy problem..!

First of all, let me see if I have this right. You have frogs of different species housed together? If this is the case, separate them immediately. There are a few reasons for this. First is cross contamination, many amphibians species produce toxins to protect themselves, while at the same time all amphibians have porous skin. So keeping multiple species together means that they are poisoning each other. Second, most of the species in the pet trade are wild caught and come with their own parasites and pathogens native to the land of their origin. So what can happen is cross infection, animals infecting other animals that would not have any immunity to foreign diseases. Third there is environmental needs. Not all species have the same requirements, so it is just about impossible to house multiple species together from around the world happily. Someone's needs will not be met in this situation. Then there is stress of being kept with other species and stress kills.

Ok now on to what may be wrong with your frog. It may be a sore from rubbing its snout on the sides of a tank or on the top of it, but I really can't diagnose the problem without actually seeing it.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New member with a dumpy problem..!

Yes, definitely don't mix frogs from that far away together. You could get away with some mixes where they occur together in the wild but Australia + Africa is not viable.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Thread Information