Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding frog to frog

Malachi

Default Feeding frog to frog

I went to the asian market today and saw only huge frogs for sale ( too big to feed to my bullfrog yet). I decided to look in the back. Low and behold a 10 pack of couple inch frogs for 6$.

I couldn't catch him snagging it since i wasn't even sure he would go for it. Well and soon as I made it move he attacked. This video is 5 seconds after the grab.

YouTube - African bullfrog eats frog

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

jjmorton13

Default Re: Feeding frog to frog

There was quite a bit of controversy not far back about someone posting pictures of their frog eating another frog, despite a clear "warning" at the top of the post, just FYI. What kind of frogs were they? Any idea on their source (farmed, wild caught, country of origin etc)?

Malachi

If a person does not want to see it why click on it, also its not live. They are farmed East Asian Bullfrogs from Vietnam.

5. This member thanks Malachi for this post:

i think frogs are a perfect food source besides the cannabalism part because they are a great source of calcium dont have much fat and could maybe be a once a week staple
    African Bullfrogs, Clawed Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Bearded Dragons,

7. This member thanks willtilian for this post:

jjmorton13

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    If a person does not want to see it why click on it, also its not live.
    I don't disagree, just thought I would let you know in case you were unaware of that previous thread.

They are farmed East Asian Bullfrogs from Vietnam.
    Thanks for the info!

9. This member thanks jjmorton13 for this post:

Eel Noob

Thanks for the great idea. I shop there all the time just never crossed my mind to use them for my frogs. Have bought frozen krills to feed my fishes though.

I remember reading something about how it's bad to feed frozen fishes to frogs, causes vitamin B deficiency or something like that. Wonder if frozen frogs do the same?

Myles

i dont see anything wrong with using a frog as food in the wild if a frog passed buy a pixie it would get guzzled! i appreciate you posting this video nice looking frog bro

Tony

You are taking a huge risk by feeding off frogs fresh from the market, you may have just introduced chytrid, pathogenic bacteria, or internal parasites.

Malachi

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    You are taking a huge risk by feeding off frogs fresh from the market, you may have just introduced chytrid, pathogenic bacteria, or internal parasites.
    It is frozen/thawed. I forgot to put that in the post. I was under the impression that if its frozen there is not much risk of the above?

I researched and asked and it was the general consensus that it was ok to feed frozen frogs. If there is still a risk please let me know.

Tony

It is frozen/thawed. I forgot to put that in the post. I was under the impression that if its frozen there is not much risk of the above?

I researched and asked and it was the general consensus that it was ok to feed frozen frogs. If there is still a risk please let me know.
    Freezing does not destroy chytrid, it thrives under cool conditions and is able to survive being frozen. Treating the frogs for chytrid before freezing is probably the safest way to go, though heating the (pre-killed) frogs before feeding may also be sufficient, bringing them up to a temperature of 120 degrees and holding it there for half an hour or so should do the trick.

Here is some info on chytrid.

15. This member thanks Tony for this post:

poison beauties

I would make sure to test that frog a time or two in the next couple of months,

Michael

Malachi

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Freezing does not destroy chytrid, it thrives under cool conditions and is able to survive being frozen. Treating the frogs for chytrid before freezing is probably the safest way to go, though heating the (pre-killed) frogs before feeding may also be sufficient, bringing them up to a temperature of 120 degrees and holding it there for half an hour or so should do the trick.

Here is some info on chytrid.
    Thank you. I bought them frozen, so i think the 120 degree thing is what I will do. I also remember reading that African Bullfrogs have a natural resilience to Chytrid due to being from Africa. Has anyone heard of this?

Kevin1

I've heard of it. I think it was on this forum. It may not affect them as badly. When I treated chubbz cause I suspected he may carry it, I noticed an increase in appetite and energy afterwords.

19. This member thanks Kevin1 for this post:

how do you treat them?

onedge30

Is there a test for chytrid?

Kevin1

I heard there was a test but that it wasn't very accurate 30% of the time. I think there are a few different places that due testing.

Kevin1

Will I found info for the chytrid treatment on talk to the frog. I would tell you how to treat them but I can't remember exactly how it was. It's been awhile and I think they may have changed some things. I think it was 10ML of Lamasil AT in 200 ML of water for 10-14 days. I don't trust my memory 100% on this though. lol

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin1 View Post
    Will I found info for the chytrid treatment on talk to the frog. I would tell you how to treat them but I can't remember exactly how it was. It's been awhile and I think they may have changed some things. I think it was 10ML of Lamasil AT in 200 ML of water for 10-14 days. I don't trust my memory 100% on this though. lol
    It is 1 mL of Lamasil to 200mL of water. The frogs are soaked for 5 minutes each day, making sure to completely wet the frog with the solution, and the enclosure must be sterilized while the frogs are soaking to prevent reinfection. The treatment period is 10 days.

25. This member thanks Tony for this post:

if i kept my frogs in containers with paper toil instead of their original cages would that be ok and just clean the cages once.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by willtilian View Post
    if i kept my frogs in containers with paper toil instead of their original cages would that be ok and just clean the cages once.
    Sure, if you don't care about the treatment being effective. You could save even more effort by not treating at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information