Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant decide!Stolzmanni or Caatinga?

kluas88

Default Cant decide!Stolzmanni or Caatinga?

I still have the opurtunity to either get a stolzmanni trio or a caatinga trio. Which would you choose? I currently have an ornate trio that I plan on breeding and was wondering what species I could get next to attempt to breed? I really like the size and color of caatinga but it is more common than stolzmanni. But stolzmanni is kind of bland and small compared to caatinga.

Also since i will most likely be buying sibling trios is it okay to breed them? Are there any negatives to inbreeding horned frogs?

Should I just buy more ornates and stick with them for now?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kevin1

Default Re: Cant decide!Stolzmanni or Caatinga?

Between the two I would get a Caatinga. They're U.S. captive bred and come from a good source. The Caatinga is very closely related to the Ornate and have similar care requirements. If your goal is to breed though, I would get more Ornates. The more you get the more likely you'll succeed. It's better to have a higher ratio of males to females. The males calling will stimilate more males to also call which many believe will help "ripen" the girls eggs for fertilization. In the wild it's usually many frogs congregating in a pool to breed. It's hardly ever a pair or trio, not to say it doesn't happen though.

kluas88

Also does anyone know were to get red ornates? Not ornates with red on them but almost completely red ornates.

EpicFrogMan

Hybrids all the way. My Caatanga was WEAK. it looked nice but so fragile.

bshmerlie

My Stolzmanni's are little powerhouses. Small but "MIGHTY". I think they have "little frog syndrom"

EpicFrogMan

kluas88

I dont believe in mixing any species or localities. I think I am going to stick with ornates.

What do you mean your caatinga was fragile?

The stolzmanni are a lot of money for small frogs with cranwelli color and patterns.

EpicFrogMan

Quote Originally Posted by kluas88 View Post
    I dont believe in mixing any species or localities. I think I am going to stick with ornates.

What do you mean your caatinga was fragile?

The stolzmanni are a lot of money for small frogs with cranwelli color and patterns.
    they require more heat and they dont eat as much, you almost have to force feed them. Thats why they were crossed with the Ornata for a better looking frog and better behavior. They are sterile so what..

So many hybrid haters who have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to Ceratophrys.

Kevin1

Are you sure they're sterile?

EpicFrogMan

that what ive been told most likely. Still an amazing Hybrid. I love him.

Eel Noob

Maybe we just need to research more on these frogs instead of saying they are weak. Alot of animals that were once considered hard or impossible to keep are now readily kept and bred.

13. This member thanks Eel Noob for this post:

EpicFrogMan

Quote Originally Posted by Eel Noob View Post
    Maybe we just need to research more on these frogs instead of saying they are weak. Alot of animals that were once considered hard or impossible to keep are now readily kept and bred.
    "weak" is my personal opinion compared to other horned frogs. It still eats, poops, breeds, and is pretty. Just not in the style i like.

kluas88

I think I will go with a caatinga trio because the adults have some amazing color morphs. Also I have cobra heat mats that get ver warm so i could raise the temp up to 88 for it. Maybe you didnt get a healthy animal if you had to force feed it. Some frogs are just picky my cranwelli wouldnt eat for a few weeks and then one day started eating like crazy.

Most likely I am going to wait fo tboth these species to get more established and for the price to drop.

Also any ideas on horned frog inbreeding? My ornates were pruchased from different places at different times to ensure they werent related. But if I decide to get a caatinga group they will most likely be siblings.

Kevin1

Inbreeding shouldn't be a problem at least not for one generation. Inbreeding generation after generation COULD have some problems.

kluas88

Alright, I am definitely going to get the caatinga this week. I am sure that there will be more stolzmanni in the future if I decide to get them. The caatinga has such a vaariable color pattern that it is worht breeding.

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by EpicFrogMan View Post
    So many hybrid haters who have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to Ceratophrys.
    why don't they have no clue in your opinion?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Someone got the wrong caatinga.lol

I had over 100 caatingas this year and have no problems with them. They are strong feeders if you know what food sources to feed them. The stolzmanni are very small and only produce 100 eggs or so. Also, the market for them is small and you will not make much money on them.

When breeding frogs you want a large group of males. They do not breed like snakes. One male won't take care of 2 females. Ornates are one of the hardest to breed.(Without numbers) All the ornates in the USA are bred by the same two people. They are almost all related since no ornates have been imported into the USA in the last 20 plus years.

Samurai japan- Yusuke has solid red ornates. Be prepaired to spend $200.00 and up per animal.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Ha just saw that this was from 2 years ago lol

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by earthtiger View Post
    why don't they have no clue in your opinion?
    Earthtiger, this thread is from two years ago. Most of the people on here are no longer active on this forum, so you are unlikely to get a response from them.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Earthtiger, this thread is from two years ago.
    I know.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Most of the people on here are no longer active on this forum,
    regarding their profiles ("last activity") most have been online this year and several a couple of days weeks ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information