Thread: Brand new tree frog owner

monroezero

Default Brand new tree frog owner

Recently got a White's Tree Frog, and this is my first time owning a frog. I got a smallish tank from exo terra to start. I have a couple live plants in the substrate, and they seem to be doing well. But for some reason, between them and the water dish and the multiple mistings per day, I can't seem to keep the humidity much higher than the 50-60 range on the hygrometer, unless I turn the overhead light off. Then the temperature usually dips down to around 68F. Would love to hear some suggestions from some more experienced owners on ways to have a more moist environment.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: Brand new tree frog owner

First what are the dimensions of your tank? You said "smallish" which concerns me because Whites Tree Frogs get rather large. Just a heads up. You can increase humidity by covering up part of the screen lid with plexi glass, glass or even a plastic bag if thats all you have. You don't want to cut off too much ventilation but sometimes covering up some of the top helps to keep in some of the humidity. You can use a side mounted heating pad to help keep the temp up if that is a problem. You should try to have a 12 hour day and night period for them. What kind a substrate are you using?...Some work better than others at keeping some of the moisture in the tank.

monroezero

The tank is 18"x12"x12". I realize that they get pretty large, and if he starts to seem too cramped to get good exercise then I'll definitely upgrade.
    I have a heater on the bottom of the tank, but I'm wondering if the substrate isn't really letting the heat through. I was concerned about covering the screen top when I have a hood lamp covering half the top. Every night at around 9:30 or 10:00 is when I turn the light off, and it stays off till about 7:00 to 7:30 the next morning. The substrate is one of those that come in a block that you mix with water. Kind of a brownish, wispy looking material.
    I had read somewhere that some people would do something more 'natural' with their substrate, layers starting with gravel, potting soil, and then something like sphagnum moss on top.

Tony

Do yourself a favor and throw away that hygrometer. Most of them are inaccurate to start with, and you will drive yourself crazy and stress your frogs out trying to peg the "magic number" on it. White's tree frogs do not need high humidity anyway, ventilation is much more important.

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Do yourself a favor and throw away that hygrometer. Most of them are inaccurate to start with, and you will drive yourself crazy and stress your frogs out trying to peg the "magic number" on it. White's tree frogs do not need high humidity anyway, ventilation is much more important.
    I agree with Tony. When you first get new frogs you're so concerned with a number and you will drive yourself nuts trying to always stay at it. Mist like you're doing 50-60% isn't bad for them. I would add a drainage layer to your substrate though which will help your plants. You can use LECA (small brown clay balls) you can get at a petshop and put them at the bottom with a screen mesh over them so the soil doesn't mix in. Move the heatmat to the side of the tank if you can that should help with the heat. People put moss on top of it to keep the soil from sticking to the frogs. I use sheet moss, some use leaf litter but there are many kinds of products that do the same thing. Just make sure that it is something that your frogs can't ingest. I use a cricket bowl when feeding so I don't have that problem. If you're really concerned with the humidity just place a gallon plastic bag on a section of the screen side and watch how that affects your humidity gauge. Also if you can get yourself a digital gauge they are more accurate.

monroezero

Thank you all for the suggestions on the tank, I'll prob make lots and LOTS of changes before I'm finally happy with how the tank looks.

woppa

I agree with tony. Most of the times those things are messed up. My hygrometer used to never change even after I misted. After that I just went digital. If you want the exact reading every time just get a digital hygrometer.

Thread Information