Thread: Sick cane toad, help!!

TwiAly

Default Sick cane toad, help!!

I got my cane toad back in november and he's always been very active and a great eater. I noticed about a week and a half ago he wasn't eating and was spending a great deal of time in his half log hide instead of his water where he usually hangs out. Then when I picked him up to check him out he just kind of puffed up on me and put his back legs straight out, then kept them stiff and for a bit I thought he couldn't move them. But after a few he pulled them back to how they should be and went back into his log. He's pretty much been in there since, he was in his water one time but that was it. I check on him daily and offen him food, but he's not interested at all. He's seems to be doing worse, he's puffed up and when I pick his up he seems to lean to his right side and the right eye remains closed most of the time, like he's paralyzed on that side. I don't see any visable cuts or wounds or anything. I called the only reptile vet we have and honestly doesn't have a lot of toad/frog knowledge so he thinks a trip to see him would just traumatize him and do more harm then good as really he'd just be guessing. I don't know what else I can do. Anyone ever experience anything like this? Seeing my poor Nessi like this is just breaking my heart!! :-(

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

clownonfire

Default Re: Sick cane toad, help!!

Quote Originally Posted by TwiAly View Post
    I got my cane toad back in november and he's always been very active and a great eater. I noticed about a week and a half ago he wasn't eating and was spending a great deal of time in his half log hide instead of his water where he usually hangs out. Then when I picked him up to check him out he just kind of puffed up on me and put his back legs straight out, then kept them stiff and for a bit I thought he couldn't move them. But after a few he pulled them back to how they should be and went back into his log. He's pretty much been in there since, he was in his water one time but that was it. I check on him daily and offen him food, but he's not interested at all. He's seems to be doing worse, he's puffed up and when I pick his up he seems to lean to his right side and the right eye remains closed most of the time, like he's paralyzed on that side. I don't see any visable cuts or wounds or anything. I called the only reptile vet we have and honestly doesn't have a lot of toad/frog knowledge so he thinks a trip to see him would just traumatize him and do more harm then good as really he'd just be guessing. I don't know what else I can do. Anyone ever experience anything like this? Seeing my poor Nessi like this is just breaking my heart!! :-(
    Aly, I'm really sorry to read about your toad. There is a basic first aid article which could be of help, but after reading it, I don't think it really relates to your toad:

http://www.frogforum.net/care-articl...first-aid.html

You could also try writing Kurt as he might be able to give you more insights.

I wish I could offer you more help.

Good luck,

Eric

Wormwood

Default Re: Sick cane toad, help!!

Has he been able to produce waste normally? My cane toads poop constantly. It might just be a blockage in his system somewhere.

If you don't have one already, keep him on one of those reptile mats for a while in place of his normal substrate to track this. If it is a blockage he might be slowly poisoning himself.

Thread Information