Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guy feeds his pixie a chameleon

bshmerlie

Default Re: Guy feeds his pixie a chameleon

I don't think anyone here is arguing about the "natural order", the "food chain", or "nutritional value". The question is what do you do with a pet when you no longer wish to keep it? Change this to a small dog and answer that question. I don't think it would be feeding it to your snake would it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kevin1

That way of thinking is the exact problem I have with mankind.

Also we don't know for sure that it was a pet. Jumping to conclusions has never lead me to anything good.

peeka

I watched the video, reluctantly, and read all the comments and I can't find where he claimed it was his pet (if I missed that, my apologies).

All animals should be respected, a pinkie has just as much right to life as a chameleon, but no one seems to get upset over those videos (well I do). Just because rats and pinkies are the "usual" feeder animal doesn't mean their lives are worth less.

As for the cost point, some people don't mind spending extra money on their pets, perhaps he can afford to buy chameleons for his pixie, good for him.
    For example I feed my dogs raw, are there cheaper options, of course! I could buy cheap dry food for my dogs and they would probably eat it right up and do just fine on it but I choose to feed them raw because imo it's the healthier option for them.

Its youtube, most videos on there are posted solely for entertainment / shock value it's not worth getting upset over.

Ally

5. This member thanks peeka for this post:

Malachi

I think how you view this video is how you view the chameleon. I view it as one of my pets, thus i personalize it to myself and how i could never feed my pets to pets. Its all in the mind. It could be this guy, like me, wants to have a varied diet for his frog and ate the $50 bucks for the chameleon. In that sense it is a feeder.

I am not very sensitive and can watch any video of animals eating each other. I have also slaughtered a hog, something most people can not do.

7. This member thanks Malachi for this post:

Kevin1

Quote Originally Posted by peeka View Post
    I watched the video, reluctantly, and read all the comments and I can't find where he claimed it was his pet (if I missed that, my apologies).

All animals should be respected, a pinkie has just as much right to life as a chameleon, but no one seems to get upset over those videos (well I do). Just because rats and pinkies are the "usual" feeder animal doesn't mean their lives are worth less.

As for the cost point, some people don't mind spending extra money on their pets, perhaps he can afford to buy chameleons for his pixie, good for him.
    For example I feed my dogs raw, are there cheaper options, of course! I could buy cheap dry food for my dogs and they would probably eat it right up and do just fine on it but I choose to feed them raw because imo it's the healthier option for them.

Its youtube, most videos on there are posted solely for entertainment / shock value it's not worth getting upset over.

Ally
    Thank you Ally!

EpicFrogMan

I have a confession about 12 years ago i fed my first pacman frog a weak leopard gecko that was going to die anyways. Trust me i felt bad.

this is nuts and stupid maybe if the chameleon was dead because of a maybe hard fall or somthing like that i would feed but not alive
    African Bullfrogs, Clawed Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Bearded Dragons,

Kevin1

Hey Will do you feed your frogs dead crickets?

Digital

I see both point's people are tying to make here. But what I don't see is proof of this Cham. being a pet or just a feeder. I understand kids like him don't respect the value of money. Most of us here, understand the value of a hard day's make. But what I don't understand is jumping to conclusions about, if it's a feeder or a pet. I breed some animals before and deformity run's a lot in breeding for many reasons. So I'm just curious if this boy/girl got the cham. as a feeder for a low price or had it as a pet. When I was breeding Betta's I would give the deform fish to my friend to feed to his snake or turtle. To save him some money on feeders. So my point is if your going to jump on someone butt, about something. Make sure you know the reason they are doing it. Or your just fighting a blind fight.

13. This member thanks Digital for this post:

That's a pretty good point. I'm use to selling high-priced chameleons, but it's definitely possible that it was purchased cheap for a feeder. I still don't think I could feed a chameleon to something, but seeing a frog eat something other than an insect is something I can tolerate.

Digital

I agree, I don't feed my frog anything buy insects. But if one of my friends had some Betta's that he need to put down for a good reason. I would be more then happy to feed them to my frog. I understand in nature they eat all kinds of animals and insects that they can fit in their little mouths. But in captivity, we can make the choices of what their diet should be like. Also with all the different feeder insects we have to day, it shouldn't be hard to give them a nice variety of foods. I'm not with PITA, so don't start thinking that people.

no not crickets but dead mice and peices of meat
    African Bullfrogs, Clawed Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Bearded Dragons,

Myles

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin1 View Post
    That way of thinking is the exact problem I have with mankind.

Also we don't know for sure that it was a pet. Jumping to conclusions has never lead me to anything good.
    he said it was a pet in a pm on youtube

18. 2 members thank Myles for this post:

bshmerlie

Does it change anybody's perspective that it was his pet? To me it's not the fact that is was a chameleon but that it was his pet and he chooses to dispose of it. I think we have a responsibility to take care of our pets and if we do not want them anymore than find them good homes. Why can't any of you guys on the other side answer the question about, what if it was his dog? Would that be okay? and from your logic it shouldnt matter. An animal is an animal. A cricket, a worm, a mouse, a chameleon, or the family dog...there shouldn't be a difference right? If you truly hold true to your argument. Someone dinged me on my "reputation" because they thought my arugment here was "somewhat irrational". It is simply my opinion that people should not feed their pets to their other pets when they become bored with them. I did not ding anybody here for arguing the oposite of this point even though I may find that point of view cold and heartless. Everyone has a right to their opinion. Imagine what this forum would be like it we all agreed all the time.

Kevin1

If it was a personal pet that the guy had for awhile than I don't think it's right. I just don't think different species should be ranked higher than others. That's what i was trying to say.
    To be honest I don't believe Myles is telling the truth. I don't think he really said that in a "PM". So I sent him a PM myself asking him and am still waiting to hear back from him.
    If I hear back and find out Myles was right I will happily apologize.

It seems like most of us are on the same page. If it was a personal pet he got tired of, it was wrong. If he just spent a whole lot of money on a feeder, then it doesn't matter. I'm hoping it's the latter.

22. This member thanks 1beataway for this post:

peeka

If it was indeed a pet, then yes he's a moron who probably shouldn't own animals, no one is disagreeing with that point.The argument is that the life of a chameleon is not worth more than the life of any other animal.

Ally

24. This member thanks peeka for this post:

Digital

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    . Why can't any of you guys on the other side answer the question about, what if it was his dog?
    I'm not on either side, but since you like this question be answered so badly. I will be more then happy to try an answer it the best I can.

First off it's the way people are raised and what we think is right and wrong. Since most of us live in the USA, we think of dog's and cat's as pets. Since we where raised to think like that. While if you go to another country, they are just animals like any other. It's like questioning why do we eat chickens, cows, fish, etc. But not monkey's, dogs, cats, snake, etc. So in reality if you think about it, all animals and insects, are just part of the food chain to something bigger then the other. So why do we not feed our dog or cat to our pets.

1. We would need a big enough pet to even feed it to in the first place. Most likely if you have one, your also going go with a cheaper meet. Then a dog, in the first place.

2. Owning dogs or cat's require a lot of paper work to fill out and the time it takes to process all of it. Would be to long, other than just going to a local pet store and picking up some mice's or rats or other type of animal's. Even if you buy from a breeder. It cost way to much money.

3. We live in the US, so bring a dog home and all of sudden the dog never gets seen again, will raise some eyebrows, with the neighbors. So then PITA and the animal control will then step in and arrest us for animal cruelty.

4. If you where going feed a dog or cat, you would need to fatten them up, witch would take a lot of money. Then just buying a big fat rabbit or something the same size.

5.I also think it's against the law in almost all states to even feed a dog or cat to any animal or person. If it wasn't, I don't think we would have so many shelters to worry about.

Kevin1

Quote Originally Posted by peeka View Post
    If it was indeed a pet, then yes he's a moron who probably shouldn't own animals, no one is disagreeing with that point.The argument is that the life of a chameleon is not worth more than the life of any other animal.

Ally
    Exactly any other animal, including a dog or cat, or even human(hahaha) which I doubt many will agree there. It's our emotions that cloud up the concept of equality.

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin1 View Post
    Exactly any other animal, including a dog or cat, or even human(hahaha) which I doubt many will agree there. It's our emotions that cloud up the concept of equality.
    So Kevin, am i to think that you believe that your life is of equal value to...say...a cockroach? Assuming we take all emotions out of this of course.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information