Thread: Debate about Bombina orientalis populations/colour variances

Ezequiel

Default Debate about Bombina orientalis populations/colour variances

Hi all.
    I created this thread to debate about Bombina orientalis populations / colour variances.
    One thing: I´m not very good at genetic.
    Until now, there is no B. orientalis subspecies. It is said that there are two “forms” or "varieties": the Russian and the Korean.
    The Koreans are from olive green to bright green.
    The Russians (also known as "golden") are from very dark brown to yellowish brown.
    Here is a post on Frog Forum where explains that:
    http://www.frogforum.net/fire-belly-...rientalis.html
    And now, the problem: Kurt shows two pictures (taken from Amphibia Web) about the two "forms". According to him, the brown B. orientalis is Russian but if you click on "View Details" (over the picture), it explains that the photo was taken in Korea! So, it doesn´t have sense.
    In my opinion, there is no difference between the populations or there is a unique population (sorry if this sounds stupid). I don´t think that it has to be said that there are two varieties only because they are different in colouration.
    As far as I know, Bombina can change of colour depending on different factors like mood, lighting, plants, water quality, temperature, humidity…
    What I want to do is that people who has both “forms” show/comment us what differences they can see (except colouration, obviously) between them but you have to be sure of the origin of the specimen.
    Bye
    PD: Excuse my English.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SethD

Default Re: Debate about Bombina orientalis populations/colour variances

Yes the two colors in the pet trade come from the same source. As far as I am aware frogs are not imported to the USA from Russia period. When breeding orientalis brown froglets and green ones will come from the same spawning too. Just natural variation, I wouldn't be surprised if some populations tended more toward one color or another but it isn't the difference between "russian" and "korean" orientalis.

Ezequiel

Quote Originally Posted by SethD View Post
    Yes the two colors in the pet trade come from the same source. As far as I am aware frogs are not imported to the USA from Russia period. When breeding orientalis brown froglets and green ones will come from the same spawning too. Just natural variation, I wouldn't be surprised if some populations tended more toward one color or another but it isn't the difference between "russian" and "korean" orientalis.
    Thanks for the reply.
    So, both brown and green ones come from the same place?
    Bye

Quetzacoatl

There is a nice photo of the "russian variation"

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.ca...rientalis1.jpg

Thread Information