Thread: Help me make a choice!?

Animalnstinct

Default Help me make a choice!?

I have finally broken down my choices of what frog I want to get soon and I was hoping to get some advice and help on choosing which one would be best for me right now.

Just to give you a better idea of where I stand experience wise etc I do have some experience with frogs, but it was years ago. I have done lots of research, taken care of tons of healthy pets, and I like to think I have decent common sense (lol).

I also want to mention that I have a 30 Gallon tank I plan to house whichever species I make my final decision on. Also, I want to eventually breed the frogs for some beautiful little babies.

My 5 choices:

Malaysian Leaf Frog / Malayan Horned Frog ? ( Megophrys Nasuta )

While doing research on this particular frog, I did get a little confused. I came across multiple websites where they referred to Malayan Horned Frog as the Malaysian Leaf Frog, Long Nosed Horned Frog, and also seen that the Megophrys Nasuta and Megophrys Montana is the same frog? I thought that the Nasuta and the Montana were two different frogs but a website I came across said they were the same frog just known as Nasuta and Montana.

Beautiful Mantella ( Mantella Pulchra)

Peacock Tree Frog ( Leptopelis Vermiculatus )

Green and Black Dart Frog ( Dendrobates Auratus )

Painted Mantella ( Mantella Madagascariensis )

I do have a few other choices, but these are the 5 main ones I want to make a choice from. Thank you ! - Jenn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Help me make a choice!?

I have Megophrys Nasuta. PM me or chat with me sometime and I can share all kinds of information. And they do have a few names. But Montana and Nasuta are not exactly the same. Montana is smaller, I believe.

Animalnstinct

Thank you! I will definitely be in contact with. I really want a few, even if I don't get them right away my plan is to get some in the near future!

Also, thanks for clearing up that they are in fact two different frogs. That's what I thought, from what I read I thought that the Montana was smaller then the Nastu. What made me question it was I came across 2 websites that said they were the exact same frog and they just had two different names.

Thank you!

Digital

Here's a little heads up from a breeder (not a fog breeder but a fish breeder and some other kinds of animals as well). When you read up on a type of animal (doesn't matter what kind) your going learn something really quick when you actually get the animal. As much as you spend reading about them, most of your knowledge comes from owning them. I'm not saying don't read up on them, but get ready for the learning experience of your life. Each animal always going be different from the other. So it makes it hard to tell people what to expect through online.

As for picking out your new little friend(s) go with the one you think you want the most.

Tony

Be aware that all five of those species are most commonly available as wild-caught, so be prepared to deal with the potential complications or make sure you track down a reputable breeder.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I don't know much about the rest of your choices, but I would love to have a terrarium full of Mantellas.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Animalnstinct

Thank you for the replies everyone.

I've decided to go ahead with getting Mantellas and I found two breeders that I might go through to get the little guys. My hubby surprised me with an early birthday gift of a bunch of frog stuff, including a 18x18x24 Exo Terra Terrarium which I've decided to put my frogs in instead of the 30 gallon aquarium and using the aquarium for another project.

I also picked up most of the supplies to do the draining layer on the bottom, but I was talking to someone who said I didn't need to bother with doing it with the mantellas and then I talked to someone else who said I should because of having live plants etc. What do you guys think?

I have to admit that I am a bit nervous about drilling a hole in the side of the tank, so if it's not needed then that's fine with me. However, if you guys think it would be better then I will make sure to work it out.

Digital

I don't have any thing to say about what you asked.

But I would like to say is your picture cracked me up when I saw it. I almost died from the cuteness.

poison beauties

I would prepare the viv, do some reading and some culturing of feeders. Mantella need FF and other micro fauna to thrive. Once in an established viv they really do thrive. Good luck with them.

Michael

Animalnstinct

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    I don't have any thing to say about what you asked.

But I would like to say is your picture cracked me up when I saw it. I almost died from the cuteness.
    I know isn't it the cutest thing ever, lol! I found it online a little while ago and had to share it!

I've been reading up on Mantellas and I keep finding wildly different answers to whether or not I should have the drainage layer. I assume though that I should If I'm going to have plants so the roots don't rot.

Thread Information