Thread: Best way to induce aestivation?

Meatball

Default Best way to induce aestivation?

How can I change the environment in my pixie frog's tank to induce him going into hibernation for awhile? I thought it was lower the temperature and keep it dryer in the tank. Is this correct?

Thank you in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

onedge30

Default Re: Best way to induce aestivation?

Yep. You got it.

You would also want him/her to not have eaten for a while so that the intestine is clear.

EpicFrogMan

throw him in a tupperware in the closet

i would do the tupperware thing just with dirt in it
    African Bullfrogs, Clawed Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Bearded Dragons,

Meatball

Quote Originally Posted by EpicFrogMan View Post
    throw him in a tupperware in the closet
    really? just put him in the closet lol? This is my first frog. (ive had lizards forever), and that seems like neglect haha.

EpicFrogMan

Quote Originally Posted by Meatball View Post
    really? just put him in the closet lol? This is my first frog. (ive had lizards forever), and that seems like neglect haha.
    you can just leave him in your room , the temps might not be as steady as a closet or bathroom. Some people say its pretty cold when they aestivate they will be fine as long as they put the cocoon over themselves.

Meatball

Ok. Now I fed my pixie a large rodent about 2 weeks ago and have left him just sit on that for awhile now. His eyes have been like half open and he hasnt moved much. I can tell hes shifted positions slightly though. Whenever my pixie burrows down a little bit he just makes a crater and doesnt cover his back up in the dirt. Should I just try to let some of the moisture out of his tank and take off the heating pad and allow him to aestivate that way?

I feel safer doing it this way so incase he needs the water he can get to it.

onedge30

That sounds fine. I would add enough substrate so that he can cover himself by about and inch to two inches.

10. This member thanks onedge30 for this post:

Kevin1

On top of what Jeff suggested, has he pooped since his last meal? No matter how long it's been, if the frog hasn't pooped then the food is stilll in there and can cause serious problems for the frog especially at the low brumation temps. What a lot of ectothermic animal keepers don't realize is without that heat these animals take longer to metabolize food, if too low probably not at all.

Kevin1

Another thing I'd like to add, I add more substrate than what Jeff suggested. About 4 inches higher than the frog. This way they don't lose as much water. Water retention is the reason they do this after all. Good luck with your frog I know the first time can be pretty scary.

Meatball

OK, and yeah he hasn't pooped yet, still looking big and full. And there is plenty of substrate in there, I guess adding more counted hurt though. Ill leave the heating pad on for awhile to see if he will finish digesting the food.

Thread Information