Thread: African Clawed Frog in untreated water pls help

Blackfhyre

Unhappy African Clawed Frog in untreated water pls help

Hello,

I have a few African Clawed Frogs and I recently had to treat one for Red Leg. She was living with one other frog, so when I did this, I cleaned the tank with the "dead sea method". I separated the two frogs immediately so I do not think the second frog caught the Red Leg. I then put the sick frog in a separate tank so that she could heal before i put the two back together. When I put the healthy frog back in the normal tank, I forgot to treat the water and ddin't realize until about 48 hours later. That was last night. Then this morning I noticed that his back legs didn't appear to be functioning properly. Once I noticed that, I transfered him into a smaller tank with shallow water so that he could get some air. Is this something that he can recover from? Or do you think he's done for and I should just put him back with his friend to spend his last days with...? I love my frogs and want to do what's best for them, I feel so awful for causing this to happen even though it was a mistake. If there is anything else I could do to help the poor fellow out please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
    -Charlie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: African Clawed Frog in untreated water pls help

Sorry to hear about your frog. Generally, clawed frogs are pretty tough and can survive quite extreme conditions. I would place the frog in a tank by itself with clean, conditioned water for a three days to "detox". Make sure you change the water each day. The frog should be ready to go back into the aquarium. FYI: do not use distilled water since it doesn't have the right amount of minerals required for the frog's well being. Spring water and conditioned tap water is OK.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Blackfhyre

Default Re: African Clawed Frog in untreated water pls help

Thank you very much.

I changed the water yesterday and this morning, and will continue to change the water every day until i see some inprovment.

Thanks again

Thread Information