Thread: Red-Eyed Leaf Frog Advice Please

ViaKitten

Default Red-Eyed Leaf Frog Advice Please

I have own red eyes for 3 years now and unfortunately, I just recently lost my male. I never intended to breed and they were just my pets, so this is just about the happiness of my female frog. Should I buy another frog? My female seems kind of sad, not sick or anything, but she doesn't chirp as much anymore and she isn't as active. I have checked her out and she is in good health, so I wonder if she is just lonely. Anyone have any advise?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: Red-Eyed Leaf Frog Advice Please

Hello and welcome to Frog Forum.
    I moved this into a more appropriate location for you.

Note: Please select your location in your profile per the terms of service, thanks.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by ViaKitten View Post
    she doesn't chirp as much anymore
    Are you sure "she" is a female? Female red eyed tree frogs do not call so the lack of noise would be perfectly normal, if both frogs used to call then you had two males.

I prefer to keep my red eyes in groups. A single frog will live on its own just fine but you will miss out on some very interesting behaviors when they don't have others of their species to interact with,
    Last edited by Kurt; November 30th, 2010 at 08:34 PM.

kiwibaby

Yes it can live perfectly fine on its own. When my red eyes were babies one of them died a few months after I got them and the surviving frog did seem to act a bit strange for a while but (she?) got over it soon enough. Its been over a year since and she's been fine.

I have to agree with Tony though, they are quite more entertaining in groups.

bshmerlie

I had one red eye for almost two years by himself. When I began to add others he became a lot more active. I don't know if he was bored before or maybe he now feels competition and has to get off his lazy butt to go get food or sit on his favorite branch.

kiwibaby

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    I had one red eye for almost two years by himself. When I began to add others he became a lot more active. I don't know if he was bored before or maybe he now feels competition and has to get off his lazy butt to go get food or sit on his favorite branch.
    Is there a process to adding new companions for an adult red eye or do they get along well with new tank mates?

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibaby View Post
    Is there a process to adding new companions for an adult red eye or do they get along well with new tank mates?
    Besides the 30 day quarantine period...No. although you do have to worry about size. Juvinels can usually be an okay size to go in with adults after 30 days but I had to wait over three months when I purchased babies last time. They do grow pretty fast but it seems like forever when your dealing with quarantined frogs
    Mine all get along fine... boys and girls. In a breeding situation I'm sure there would be some pushing and shoving.

kiwibaby

Good to hear. Should Kiwi recover I think I will look into getting her some friends.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I saw on Alpha Pro's site some sub adults available so thinking I may add two to try and get my red eye to be more active.

Thread Information