Thread: Dumpy tree frog with cloudy eye

yow1969

Default Dumpy tree frog with cloudy eye

Hello all. I gave my son two dumpy tree frogs about 4 weeks ago. They've been fine up until today we noticed the one had a slightly cloudy eye. We just changed the bedding again, but I believe the new bedding may have been damp for a couple weeks inside a zip lock bag. I've since changed the bedding again and rewiped the cage down. Any thoughts? should we be worried? Their diet has only been crickets that we've been feeding vitamins and dusting with some stuff the pet store gave us.

any advice would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Dumpy tree frog with cloudy eye

That kind of ailment is usually bacterial in nature. At a guess, do they have good ventilation? Restricting the ventilation for most tree frogs is a bad idea and can lead to problems like this, as well as respiratory illnesses. If the effected frog is eating well, I wouldn't worry for the moment, but if it goes off food you should take it to the vet immediately (there's no harm in doing that right now either). If you can describe the terrarium and the conditions better for us, we can give you better advice.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]

Not to throw more wood in the fire but are they adult dumpys? and could it be possible that the person who had them prior could of just been feeding mice? Feeding strictly mice to amphibians has a tendency to cause cataracts in some frogs.. Just a thought. But if it is a bacterial infection, see if your local vet has Baytril(5% solution used for dogs).. Hopefully thats all it is. Best of luck.
    Michael Novy
    rainforestjunkys.com

yow1969

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    That kind of ailment is usually bacterial in nature. At a guess, do they have good ventilation? Restricting the ventilation for most tree frogs is a bad idea and can lead to problems like this, as well as respiratory illnesses. If the effected frog is eating well, I wouldn't worry for the moment, but if it goes off food you should take it to the vet immediately (there's no harm in doing that right now either). If you can describe the terrarium and the conditions better for us, we can give you better advice.
    It's a 20 gallon upright with frontal opening, front vent and wire mesh top. The eye is bigger today but he ate 2 crickets. Should I use some type of eye drop? the nearest reptile dr. is located about 2 hours away. The other frog in the tank is doing well though.

yow1969

The frogs are very young, about the size of a quarter.

Thread Information