Thread: Play with your frog

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Play with your frog

two questions...

1. I gave the frog a pinky mouse at night... the mouse was dead by morning... I did not have time to pull him out and was going to do it when I got home from work... the mouse was no where to be found... the frog must have eaten it... he new it was alive at one point because he was sitting next to it. I did not think they ate dead food? he also must have eaten the crawdad because I cant find that in his pool...

2. I get the frog out once a day to play with... put her on the grass in the village she does not seem to mind me picking her up. Is this something that is ok for her... Or do I just need to leave her alone and bring food?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

into

Default Re: Play with your frog

While I can't say much about bullfrogs, I think handling them comes down to the individual frog and whether they are stressed or not. Also make sure your hands are washed in hot water.

So how do you "play" with her? I take my WTF out every night for feeding and sometimes give him some exercise and roaming time out of his 20gal home. I let him walk around on the walls and when he's done, he actually climbs back down onto my hand. Once he launched himself onto my shoulder and startled me as I wasn't expecting it. Sometimes he gets to wander around on the carpet with supervision. My GTFs on the other hand, are only out for feeding and back in, one is fine when you pick him up to transfer him to the feeding area, the other is still panics a little but doesn't run away from my hand like he did when I first started hand feeding.

Nationality
    [United States]

She does not seem to stress... she lets me pick her up and does not try to get away... I dont realy get her out... I keep her in her pen... but its 4' by 4' with a 3' by 3' swimming area 6" deep... I put her on the grass and give her a few pats... she jumps 3' into the water I get her out and we do it again... a few times... then I put her food in the pen and put the plexiglass back on. I don't know why I like to hold her... but she is very interesting to look at... I just wonder by looking at her where the crawfish she is eating are going... they are as big as her belly... strange...

Kurt

Well, when this frog poops and there is an exoskeleton in it, you will have your answer. And you were 100% sure that the mouse was dead?

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Mice have endoskeletons. Insects have ecto.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Mice have endoskeletons. Insects have ecto.
    I was refering to the crayfish, when I mentioned exoskeleton. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Sorry for my misunderstanding too.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

chumpy100

a bullfrog cant digest an exoskeleton?

Kurt

Depends on the exoskeleton. Large pieces of a Madagascar cockroach's exoskeleton do come out the other end intact. So do pices of mealworms. So its not a stretch to think a crayfish's exoskeleton would come out in the "wash" as well.

Thread Information