Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiding eggs?

Jumper

Default Hiding eggs?

I have had a pair of cobalt blue tincs for 2 years now. They have always seemed to get along fine. I have tried to figure out their sex but still do not really know. I hooked up an ultra-sonic humidifier a few weeks ago and they became a lot more active. They have been going back in a hiding spot between some slate instead of their coco hut. If they are breeding and laying eggs in there where I am unable to get to them, is the pool in a viv a place where the young can survive?

You cannot see them but they are back in there in a little cave.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hiding eggs?

The water might be a little too lacking in tannins - in my experience tinc tadpoles don't do well in water that doesn't have the chemicals from old leaves.

That aside, I am surprised you haven't found eggs if you truly have a pair. I suspect that you have either 2 males or 2 females. I have 2 adult male Citronella who grew up together and they never fight or show serious aggression. So it's possible to keep 2 males together - that might be what you have.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Jumper

I see. I am going to put up the best picture I can of their feet. The front pads are smaller on one than the other to me....but I am a novice. They might be both male. Maybe I should check the classifides here and find a female. Is it safe for 1 female to be with 2 male?

Thanks for the input.

Tony

Those are males. 2.1 trios usually work out if they are given enough space.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Absolutely right - you have 2 males.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

rcteem

Definately two males!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Ditto here on two males.
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

Jumper

Thanks folks! Now I need to find my boys a girlfriend instead of watching them and wondering why they are not breeding.

Nationality
    [United States]

Good luck. They are great looking frogs.
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

Jumper

Alright.... I have a female now. My first group of adult dart frogs. After seeing what a female looks like beside a male.....I think I got it now.

nx2ured

Nice looking frogs you have there. Any breeding yet?

Jumper

Thanks. Something I have noticed the last couple of days is.......the touching with feet and a little nose bumping between the new female and the larger male. So I would say they are at least getting aquainted.

Jumper

O.K. Today one of the males is under a hut on a dish ....I moved the hut and went to pick up the dish and he would not jump off. In fact he was sort of raming my fingers and just stayed on dish. I checked for eggs, but none were there. I put it back under coco hut and he has remained under there with the female on top of the hut.
    Granted the males have been in the viv. for 2 years, but the female has only been in there for a little over 2 weeks. She appears to be a little fatter......but I am a heavy feeder. Could the breeding be happening this fast?
    They sure are a lot of fun to watch!

Leefrogs

when u first made this post i had to hold off from posting. Even when I re-read I still LMAO. I kept picturing those boys saying, "when we get a girl, we'll put her in here" like LOL. Now u got the girl and they took her there. Too funny.

Jumper

I think she has a thing for the heavier male frog. Whenever she starts following him around and the other male sees them he starts making that little buzzing noise and off they go together. Startin' to feel bad for the guy.

Jumper

Well, 2 days ago I saw the eggs. So I left them alone for 48 hours like I have read here. I tried to clean debris best I could. Should I clean around eggs more?

Leefrogs

Congratulations!!!!!!! I have no idea bout cleaning. Just wanted u to know someone was proud!! Best luck. Keep posting!

Jumper

I was a little concerned about temperature control for the eggs. I hatch reptile eggs....but they have shells and need heat. I used John's idea for tadpoles , except I used a little less water so that they do not float away, but in the water deep enough to maintain same temp. as water. No matter when I check it, the temp. is 75 degrees in the water and in the petrie dish.

bshmerlie

That's great David ...keep us posted.

Jumper

Well.....1 egg seems to be doing o.k. from her first clutch. She had 5 more last night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information