Thread: Vivarium Project

firebellied zach

Default Vivarium Project

I've thought about my fbt tank over night and I have decided to make a new setup change for them. I was thinking about some sort of divider made of silicon, but I don't know if that is possible. Most people use glass glued together with silicon, but I don't know if I can use JUST silicon. If it's possible, how much would terrarium silicon cost? If it's not possible, how much would it cost to buy a glass divider (bought custom made) with the silicon? Thanks for any advice ahead of time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

xdartfrogx

Default Re: Vivarium Project

Are you talking a divider so the tank is 2 tanks in one, or making it so you have water on one side and land on the other?

If you're trying to do the land/water combo, you could do like I did. Go to your local hardware store and purchase a pane of plexi glass. There are manual plexi glass cutting tools that are about $10. Use a sharpie, mark you measurements, and cut away. Make sure to use some sand paper to smooth out whichever side of the plexi glass is exposed to the frogs, to prevent injuries. Then to apply it to the tank, use aquarium silicone. Do a nice even application along the edges and bottom, then let it cure. Test it by filling it up, if it leaks, drain it out, dry it, and apply another round of silicone. Once the silicone part is over, use a razor blade to remove any remnants or bits that got stuck in uneccessary areas. This is a cheap 48 hour project (with curing time) and a great way to get any size paludarium going. If I can do it, anyone can! Best wishes to you and your Firebellies!

firebellied zach

How much would it cost to get glass cut for you?

xdartfrogx

It would depend on the size. I got a custom cut lid for my 80g angelfish tank, and it was $35. I also Got a 2 pane hexagon cut lid for $15. It would be faster to have them cut it, than to cut it yourself. You can also choose what thickness you want the glass to be. The problem is that when glass is cut for you, if it is a few cm too long, sometimes the shop won't adjust it for you and you get stuck with a piece that doesn't fit like you want it to. Plexi glass on the other hand can be hand cut at home, and adjusted as needed to fit your tank and is much cheaper in the long run.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by xdartfrogx View Post
    Plexi glass on the other hand can be hand cut at home, and adjusted as needed to fit your tank and is much cheaper in the long run.
    Until it warps and allows the frogs to escape...

xdartfrogx

oh no, john. I mean plexi glass to use to make a divider between land/water, not for a lid. I agree plexi glass is not a good choice for a lid! Glass is great when it is thick enough for a lid, it does bow as well, but not nearly as much as a plexi lid.

marshall02

I was wondering if anyone on here could offer any resources or tips for constructing a bio tope vivarium. I think it looks really cool and it would be a fun project too.

-----------------------------
    Reptile cages

bshmerlie

It would be best to start a new thread instead of being at the bottom of an old one. You will get more responses that way.

firebellied zach

When did glass lids enter the discussion? DIVIDER is what I mean, just to divide land and water.

Thread Information