Thread: Subtle Intimidation Among Tincs

JBear

Default Subtle Intimidation Among Tincs

I am raising 3 Tincs less than 3 months old. They are still in a grow-out tank, and are soon to be moved to a "Final Tank". The grow-out is a 10 gal. It is obvious I NEED to move them on to a bigger tank. The smallest of the 3 is becoming less and less visible. It is feeding with the others,but never has grown at the same rate. Is this more likely sexual dimorphism between male and female growth rates, or more likely subtle intimidation? I have never witnessd the frogs engage in any physical conflict, and in fact, appear to live very peacefully. The tank is FULL of pothos and crevices between wood/rock/foliage. The funny thing is that I would expect the 2 bigger frogs(whom spend all day very close to eachother in the open) to "bunk" together, but it is always the smaller that gets evicted from the rock hollow nightly by the biggest of the 3. The other 2 settle in together tucked into a depression in the substrate where a pothos "sprig" is rooting down in.

I want to be clear that the frog is of good weight and behaves normally, but simply does not grow like the others...

I hope to get some insight on this, and thanks in advance!

JBear

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tony

Default Re: Subtle Intimidation Among Tincs

I would separate the smaller one. I wouldn't expect any sort of breeding behavior at such a young age, but subtle bullying is definitely a possibility. Aggression does not always manifest in an all out brawl, there are also intimidating behaviors like statue-standing where the aggressor will pose in a perfectly still posture and basically stare down its opponent. There was a good thread on the topic posted on DB, I'll try to dig it up for you.

Links:

Agonistic behavior in dart frogs

Azureus posture question (contains a photo of the behavior)
    Last edited by Tony; November 19th, 2010 at 05:34 AM. Reason: added links

JBear

Tony-

Thank you for the feedback! I love my little group, and want nothing but the best quality care I can possibly provide. I have a 20 gal long that I intend to move them into, would this help to lessen stress, or will the little guy just continue to be intimidated? Either way, the move to a bigger tank is inevitable! A pic for reference...

Thanks!

JBear
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tony

I would move the dominant two to the 20 and keep the submissive frog alone for now.

Thread Information