Thread: Really confused as to what to feed...

jags78

Default Really confused as to what to feed...

i nipped out before to get the little guys some food, and i bought some turtle stick?? floating pellets, im not sure if thats right but i feed them some and they ate them,

but then i read that feeding them pellets is very wrong...im confused

if its not right please could someone just give an quick idiots guide as to what to feed please,

thanks again

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Dejavudoo

Default Re: Really confused as to what to feed...

Reptomin turtle sticks are perfectly fine for these frogs. I can see why people would say it was not good for them. It doesn't really seem natural. But I've seen one of the moderators on here that feeds that to his frogs exclusively. You should probably have those be their staple diet but can give them some variety by feeding them tubifex worms and chopped up earthworms as well. If you feed earthworms, make sure to get farm raised ones to protect against parasites. Don't feed bloodworms, mealworms, or beefheart. Bloodworms have very little nutritional value. I use to feed that to my frogs because all the sites I went to said that was good food for them, but then they only grew to be about 2 inches instead of the 4 that they're suppose to be. I'm not sure why that food became so popular for them. Mealworms are high in fat and some people say it can cause impaction. Beefheart is also high in fat. Another possible food source would be the food found on xenopus.com. It is specially formulated for ACFs.

Be sure to raise your frogs on the Reptomin or other pellet food. I had stopped feeding mine that for a long time (because I didn't know better *sigh*), and now my frog is too spoiled and will not eat it. lol

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

trust me - - keep feeding the reptomin sticks, and when your frog is hungry...he'll eat!!!

and Jags - -
    Reptomin sticks are a really high quality diet for your acf. like Dejavudoo stated, beefheart, bloodworms, and meal worms are not healthy foods for your frog.

if your frog is still small and young, you can feed him/her HBH frog and tadpole bites.. these are sinking pellets.

When they get older, feed the floating reptomin. break in half if needed to help your frog eat them.

Dejavudoo

I'll try that. I think he's just been picky lately. Hahaha.

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

they are such little pigs...that trust me - when he gets hungry enough, he will eat anything!

in the wild (and tanks!) they will eat anything living, dying, or dead that they can fit into their mouths.
    your frog will soon learn that those smelly things at the top of the tank are food...and boy do they tast good!!!

I feed reptomin sticks but I sink them for my two. I break them into small sections with my thumb nail, drop one in the water and push on it so it goes under. Usually that's enough for it to sink. If not I use my finger to flatten it against the tank glass so any air goes out and then it'll sink, you just need to make sure you do that before the pellet gets too soft or else it'll just squish into a million little particles.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Tetrafauna makes a new pellet food called Repto-Min Frog Sinking Granules. I highly recommend it. They are small pellets easy to digest and doesn't produce alot of waste.

The original Repto-Min is also an excellent choice.

passon13

i feed my ADF the same thing i feed my cory and my black khuli loach, sinking shrimp pellets. idk if he eats him since i feed hime after the lights are out but he's still alive after like 2 or 3 weeks, so i guess he's not starving

Thread Information