Thread: Hello from a new grey owner

Yahmez

Smile Hello from a new grey owner

Hello everyone,

I just purchased my first pet frog today (Grey tree frog) and have found lots of good advice here on Frog Forum already. Thanks!

I have him set up with a green anole in a 10 gal viv with big spider plant, and so far he seems to like it. As soon as I can I plan on either making a vertical 10 gal viv (using the guide here probably) or maybe I'll try the two ten gallons stacked with the bottom removed from the upper tank. I have a bunch of 10 gal tanks around, so that's the plan. I'm also thinking about a clay background... I'll post pics when I start my build. =)

Greenlove

Default Re: Hello from a new grey owner

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the forum. I don't think you're going to win a lot of fans by keeping a lizard and a tree frog together in such a small terrarium. However, good luck to you.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

bshmerlie

Welcome to the forum. John's right. Its usually best to keep each species separate. Frogs stress pretty easily by other things running around their cage. If you've got extra 10 gallon tanks sitting around it would be best to make a Viv for each one. In the long run that'll do better for you and your frog.

Yahmez

And this is why I will refrain from any making any more posts. I stated that I am working on another viv for him... his home with the anole is temporary, and with all the hides and branches in the tank, he's doing fine for now. I have no interest in winning fans anyway.

Greenlove

Quote Originally Posted by Yahmez View Post
    And this is why I will refrain from any making any more posts. I stated that I am working on another viv for him... his home with the anole is temporary, and with all the hides and branches in the tank, he's doing fine for now. I have no interest in winning fans anyway.

Hi again. I see that this is your first pet frog, how exciting for you! Which probably means your still learning, right? Me too. I have 11 Gray tree frogs myself. I didn't purchase mine, they were rescues. Two months ago I had NO CLUE what I was doing and never thought in my wildest dreams I would ever have a frog as a pet. Anyways, I am thankful to have found this site. The people and care/culturing articles on here have helped me a great deal. Everyone on here loves their frogs and toads. When your asking for help it is important to give as much information as possible so that everyone can help you better. Even if your not asking for help, and your just sharing information or photos about your frog and it's enclosure, someone may make a suggestion to you. My point is, you didn't say that you were going to separate the Anole and Gray ,you just said you were going to set up another enclosure. The consensus seems to be that you should keep species separate, and seeing how you stated that this is your first frog, the members on here just want to help start you and your frog on the best path. For the sake of your frog, in the future, please post any questions or concerns you may have. The members on here really do like and want to help. Good luck and have a nice day.

Yahmez

Thanks Greenlove. I think I started out on the wrong foot perhaps. I have had many many pets over the years but this is my first frog. I joined here because of the great information available, and yes I am learning... but I'm not clueless either.

Anyhow I converted one of my 10 gallon tanks into a vertical viv today. I used another spare tank for the extra bit of glass I needed. I opted for a side open screen door on the front, and I still have to make a background for it, I think I am going to go with clay... Something about the foam method just turns me off... don't the chemicals from the foam and sealant leech into the rest of the habitat?

After I get it all finished, I plan on moving my gray in there and maybe giving him a couple friends. I'm not sure but maybe I can house around four in the vertical 10 gallon. I might wait toll spring though and go collect some... I always hear them calling outside with the spring peepers.

Thanks again.

Greenlove

Your welcome. Everyone has a bad day every now and then. I'm glad to hear that your working on that new enclosure for your Gray. I don't know about the foam and sealant leaching into the enclosure. I think I read that you have to use aquarium sealant. Not sure what kind of foam though. But your going to have to let it air out for awhile, a few weeks maybe? You should be able to find answers to your question in the vivarium forum. You might want to wait on getting more frogs until you can get a bigger set up. While i was researching to find the optimal habitat to get my frogs the consensus seemed to be 10 gallons to every frog. I know that sounds like a lot, BUT, now that my Grays are bigger, I can see why they say this. They are very active critters at night. They jump around like kids on too much Halloween candy. I'm glad they are active though, I love watching them. I also have spring peepers around my house in the spring! I really enjoy listening to them. It's like music to my ears, and it lets me know summer is right around the corner.

Yahmez

Thanks again Greenlove... Sounds like you have your hands full with 11 of these guys around. Mine is so tame, he loves to sit on my hand and look at me, he never hops away. What a great pet! I recently introduced my gray into his new habitat. The saga continues: http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...-treefrog.html

Thread Information