My beloved Bibbit is very sick. While watching him this morning I noticed he was having troubles getting to the top of his water. I've had him for 5 years, and he's never done this. When he got to the top he almost fell backwards into the water. He recovered, went back to the top (still with issues) and then floated on the top (usual behavior for him). Well as much as I hated to leave, I had to go to school. When I got back home he was at the bottom of the water on his back. Mourning my seemingly deceased froggie, I flipped him over, brought him to the top of the water and started gently petting him. To my surprise, he gasped for air!!!
Since he was having troubles swimming, I put him in a smaller aquarium with just enough water to cover him. That way, he can easily just stick his little head out of the water to breath. I've only seen him use his arms to turn and weakly swim a few centimeters, but not his back legs. Also he seems to spasm, bowing his back up while his head goes down. He'll also "crunch" to the side or even twist while opening his mouth. It looks like he's writhing in pain!
What has happened to him? What can I do for him? Please Help!!!