Thread: Maintaining temperate

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Maintaining temperate

As winter is coming up, here in england the weather seems to have suddenly got cold. Im worried about percy because my dad is tight on money so the heating isnt on that often and when i come home from college poor percy's tank seems really cold especially when the house is too. Currently Ive been keeping a blanket round the tank and when im home i put the light on for a while to make the tank slightly hotter. I keep his heat mat on constantly but he seems to be keeping in the cooler side of th tank.
    I was wondering if anyone has some advice or suggestions to keep percy warm for the winter, as its his first winter so its my first problem keeping the temperature right.

thankyou

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Default Re: Maintaining temperate

Most people will tell you that you need a heat mat and a thermostat. If the heat mat is not doing the job then you need to consider a larger heat mat. These frogs usually die it kept below about 20 °C (about 68 F) for a few days.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

i never knew that, il go to the pet shop today and find him something bigger, thankyou

Greg M

I am no expert on horned frogs, but I use a low-wattage (40W) ceramic heater above the cage, which works pretty well. Since my house is at 72 degrees minimum, this keeps things nice and toasty. With an UTH, it would also work well... This was suggested by Frank Indiviglio (and also the people at Big Apple Herp), so it comes from a better source than me... I suspend mine above a medium-size breeder box from Exo Terra, since my guy is only young...

Paul Rust

I have had great success with taping cardboard or Styrofoam to the sides and back of the enclosure. It insulates it and helps keep the heat in. Also make sure the enclosure is not in a drafty area or near any outside walls that can bring the cold under the enclosure.

Greg M

The styrofoam or cardboard is a great idea!!!

Sometimes, when I have an extra tank of the right size, I put one tank inside the other, which also provides insulation... Right now, I have a breeder box inside an old 10 gallon, with the ceramic heater suspended from the 10g tank...

Thread Information