Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer (ornate horned frog)

Greg M

Default Homer (ornate horned frog)

Well I finally bit the bullet and bought an ornate horned frog (from Big Apple Herps). My son really wanted a baby so we could watch him/her grow. Boy, do these guys eat lots, and grow really fast! "Homer" has almost doubled in size in three weeks - "he" looks a little bigger every day! I gave him a pinky mouse the other day (as a treat) and "he" woofed it down like it was a small cricket! Thank you to Jeff Kennedy and others on FrogForum who gave me good advise on heating, caging, etc.

Please pardon the slightly out-of-focus pic...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jeff Kennedy

Default Re: Homer (ornate horned frog)

Homer is handsome. Love that green!!

John911

Nice ornate!

gtr319

He is super pretty, nice green~~

Eel Noob

Grats on the pickup. My ornate is the best eater out of all my horned frogs.

Greg M

Quote Originally Posted by Eel Noob View Post
    Grats on the pickup. My ornate is the best eater out of all my horned frogs.
    I decided to go with an ornate in part because they are reputed to be more aggressive feeders. "He" ate right out of the box. I initially thought that the horned frog reputation was somewhat exaggerated - I'd been bitten more often by an over-enthusiastic Woodhouse's toad (and WAY more often by salamanders). However, over the three weeks or so that we have had him, he has become much more aggressive in his feeding response. He used to watch the cricket or roach walk around for a bit and then chase it down - wouldn't eat nightcrawlers or eat from the tongs. Now, he'll eat anything put in front of him and tong-feeding is a snap (literally). I especially appreciate the fact that "he" is not picky about dusted food - my toads will reject an insect with a smidgeon too much vitamin/calcium dust, while this guy doesn't care. I have been giving a dusted cricket or two almost every day because he is growing so fast. As an aside, he does have very vivid coloration and has become more so over the time we have had him. I have been using Repashy Calcium plus ICB, which includes several types of carotenoids that are supposed to provide the raw materials for skin pigments, and result in more vivid coloration. I wonder whether this is going on here...

John911

Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    I have been using Repashy Calcium plus ICB, which includes several types of carotenoids that are supposed to provide the raw materials for skin pigments, and result in more vivid coloration. I wonder whether this is going on here...
    I have wondered the same thing. Obviously frogs change colors depending on mood/stress/environment sometimes. Maybe I'll order some and take some a/b comparison photos. Might be useless but hey what else is there to do right?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That's a great looking frog and I love the name. You're a great Dad!
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

Kevin1

Congrats on the new frog, it's a looker.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Homer is a beauty!

Greg M

I thought I'd update this thread with some new pics! Homer has grown from about ~1.25 inches to ~4 inches in three months, and is tooting away at all hours of the day and night! He's actually more vivid than pictured, but it was the best I could do...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

whiffer01

Wow thats a really cute frog. I am a new member, and said that because you dont know that yet. Homer has neat colors. Where did you get him?

Greg M

Welcome aboard whiffer01! Thanks for the complements on Homer! I bought him from Big Apple Herpetological (Reptile Supplies, Dog, Cat, Small Pet Supply & Aquarium Products). I was very pleased with my purchase - he was happy and hungry right out of the box...

AmandaChau

We got a "pacman" about that same time and yes they will eat you out of house and home.

He is a cuttie.

Greg M

Homer is really easy to deal with - eats from the tongs, not picky at all about food, and poops every three days like clockwork . He's also pretty mellow - no growling or biting or aggression when I have to move him.

whiffer01

Oh, just one more thing to ask about Homer. Do you know if he/she is a boy or a girl? He looks like hes a great eater. He is also the biggest frog i have ever seen in a picture.

Greg M

Homer is definitely a boy - he "toots" away at all hours, especially if there are people talking or music playing. He also has the baggy throat and nuptial pads as well.

He is a big boy, but there are female ornates out there that are twice his mass !!

countfrogula

Homer is a beauty. They grow so fast... sigh. I just love pacman frogs, they are so beautiful.

thewr310

nice frog

froggod

Are any of these still for sale, I know this ad is out of date, please respond. Thank You.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information