Thread: White's eating habits

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hannah Wilbanks

Default White's eating habits

My white's has stopped eating. I have only had him for about three weeks, at first he ate really well. Then he started eating less and less, and now he isn't eating at all. We were feeding him, freeze dried crickets and superworms. I am going to get some live crickets today and see if he will eat those. Please send me suggestions for what I should do!

Mattiez

Default Re: White's eating habits

I'd say wait until you try live crickets before you start to worry. I'm surprised he even touched freeze dried ones! Does he look healthy? Have there been any changes in temperature or humidity? Does he have any discolorations on his skin? Also, any other odd behavior besides the appetite decrease?

Please describe your entire enclosure; substrate, lights, temp, humidity, water etc., then someone here who is experienced with White's can tell you if that sounds good or not.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yes, please answer Mattie's questions so we can better help you.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Hannah Wilbanks

He is in an Exo Terra Rainforest terrarium kit (size-small). I know this may seem small, but he is still very young. We are planning to move him to a bigger cage in a month or so, when we move to a bigger place. His humidity stays at around 60%, but he spends alot of time, especially at night in his water bowl. Although, he does climb around some. I am using Jungle Mix as substrate, his temperature stays at around 78, we have ordered a small undertank heater to help warm the ground up a little, but it hasn't gotten here yet. (Per suggestion of the pet store) Last week he started to spend more time on his branches, and less in the corner. But today, he is still in his water bowl. I mist him twice a day, morning and evening. I also have been taking him out of his home to feed. He is a bright green during the day, and a brownish green at night. Although is begining to show a few white spots on his back. Please tell me what I am missing, or not doing correctly.

Hannah Wilbanks

The jungle mix substrate is made up of fir & sphagnum peat moss. In our research we found that this should work well for him.

Kurt

I would say its time for the vet to check him out. Unless I missed something it seems your enclosure is fine. The fact that he spends a lot of time in the water bowl concerns me. Twenty-four hours before he died, my "large" blue poison dart frog sat in his water bowl and didn't leave it. Before that he ate a large amount of been weevils, which are high in chitin, a substance known to cause impaction in the gastrointestinal track. Has your frog been eating mealworms or superworms? These are also high in chitin, and feeding them too much or exclusively can lead to problems.

Hannah Wilbanks

yes, I have fed him superworms. But that was several days ago. He has used the bathroom since then. I will start looking for an exotics vet.

Hannah Wilbanks

Thanks for all your help! I am happy to announce that Groyne, (Grow-Yen) started eating again last night. 9 live, adult crickets. He has now moved out of his bowl and is sleeping back in his hide on a branch. I don't know what changed, but he seems better today then he has been in a couple of days. Anyway, Thanks again for all the help!! I really appreciate it.

Mattiez

What about the white spots? Any chance you can post a picture?

Kurt

Maybe he was able to finally pass the superworms.

maxQ

Default White's eating habits

I feed mine only live crickets dusted with calcium/D3 every other feeding. I also only feed them at night when its dark since they are more active at night, and I try to feed them at the same time.

My guys also have freckles, so are more pronounced than others. I am glad to hear they are eatting...keep us informed please.
    Using Tapatalk

Thread Information