Thread: 3 Red-Eyed Tree Frogs - Behavioral Change

Sugar

Question 3 Red-Eyed Tree Frogs - Behavioral Change

Hi,

I have three A. callidryas contained in a 70 gallon tank (36"wx24"hx18"d) and for the last two days, all three have been exhibiting some abnormal behavior (for them anyway). My female started it. She's been climbing laps over our water feature, across the croton, and attempting to climb upside down on the glass lid, without success. She performs the same course dozens of times. Last night, one of the other frogs took notice and started watching her. Now all three of them are doing it. Climbing all around the tank in a circle, climbing across one another, repeatedly. Each time they pass over one another, they release a stream of what I assume is urine. There's face pushing and each seems to be trying to climb on the lid.

Daytime temperatures are consistently 75 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit with a warmer basking spot. We have a basking light during the day and moon glow at night. Night time temperatures are 65 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Lighting is timed (12 hour photoperiods) and we have both heat and humidity gradients across the viv. It's the wet season at the moment so humidity is consistently 80-90%. Plenty of powdered crickets and other insects (and possibly fish) to eat.

I've had these frogs for months and I've only seen healthy and consistent poops.

What's up with the weird behavior?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Rocko

Default Re: 3 Red-Eyed Tree Frogs - Behavioral Change

Not sure exactly what the cause is, but I do wonder if having the glass lid isn't giving them enough circulation, as well as I think 90% humidity might be a tad too high. Just my observations.

Sugar

I ventilate the vivarium completely several times a week so it's never stagnant. Also, the humidity isn't continually 90%. It fluctuates and there's a gradient. This hyperactive behavior just started in the last couple of days and there haven't been any changes. It looks like they're playing tag. :]

they usually release that liquid when disturbed. Maybe they are annoyed with each other? the males might be getting upset with each other and are wanting the female all to themselves.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm thinking maybe breeding behavior...?? Higher temps/humidity will put them in the mood...
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Thread Information