Thread: White-Lipped Tree Frog Questions

Branks

Default White-Lipped Tree Frog Questions

Hi all,

I've just acquired a white-lipped tree frog as of yesterday and now that I've got his home set up, I have a few questions.

I'm using fine coconut husk for substrate, have constructed a lot of climbing space with vines, logs and cork wood and provided a shallow water dish using bottled water. I'm at work right now so I don't have any pictures but am able to respond with some later on if necessary.

I've read a tonne of care sheets and have had a hard time finding any specifically for this frog. Is it safe to assume that their care is very similar to that of the white's tree frog?

I've read about providing a UV source but there was no indication of whether I should be using a 2.0 or 5.0 bulb. I do have an extra 5.0 bulb on hand that I bought for my chameleon, would this be too strong?

I keep a lot of crickets as they are the staple feeder for my two chameleons. The crickets are gutloaded with a mixture of collards, mustard greens, kale, carrots, apples, prickly pear cactus, egg, papaya and sweet potato, as well as a bit of Repashy dry gutload mix. I'm fairly sure that this will be good for the frog as well but would like confirmation.

Last question is about supplementation. I have calcium w/o D3, calcium w D3, Reptivite and Minerall. I've read that I should supplement with calcium and a multi-vitamin with D3 weekly. If I'm feeding 3 times/week, should one day be calcium, one day nothing and the last the multivitamin? According to the pet store, my frog is full grown.

My apologies for the long post lol. Thanks in advance for any information!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: White-Lipped Tree Frog Questions

As requested, here's my response. Keep in mind that I do not have White Lipped Tree Frogs.

Similar care to White's Tree Frog? Yes.

Personally I do not see the need for a UV light. For a nocturnal frog, I see questionable need for UV. There are other opinions on this going around but I think mine stands to reason. Strength of bulb is dependent on the size (specifically, height) of the terrarium. The light requirement should be for the plants, not the frog. I never use those proprietary "reptile" bulbs.

The crickets are perfect that way.

I like to alternate my vitamins/minerals - I dust with one product one day, and then the other product at the next dusting.

Good luck.

John
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

4. This member thanks John for this post:

Branks

Default Re: White-Lipped Tree Frog Questions

Thanks for the reply John.

From what I've read, most people do consider the UV light to be unnecessary. I do plan on putting some live plants into the viv in the next day or so. At that point I'll consider getting a bulb and not think of it as a necessity for the frog.

Something I have left out is if they require a basking light at all. I have a really low-watt house bulb hanging quite a distance over the top of the viv right now for heat purposes but have noticed some people suggesting that an above-viv heat source is not recommended. If this is correct, I'll get a heating pad for the underside of the viv.

May I ask which products you use? I'd prefer to stick to Zoomed if possible.

Thread Information