Thread: Not eating :(

vmaxchick

Default Not eating :(

Hi there folks had my new 2 American tree frogs green ones for about just over a week now and have done everything to make sure all is perfect the only thing they are in with now is 2 anolies......the problems is i am not sure the frogs are eating i have tried everything to find out from putting crickets in loose from sitting them on a glass dish along with wax worms etc and nothing for days...nothing is been taken have put them in at night when all is dark and closed off the anolies have eaten some locust i saw that.....any advise would be great

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: Not eating :(

First off..its never good to have frogs in the same tank with another species. Frogs are easily stressed out by other inhabitants beside the fact that each species has its own toxins and they will slowly be poisoning each other. Once the tree frogs are in an enclosure by themselves and they settle in and feel secure they will start eating. They will prefer crickets that are active and moving. They will only eat at night when it is completely dark so sorry you wont be able to watch them eat just yet. Count the crickets you are putting in and do a head count the next morning. Also look for frog poop that is always a good sign they are eating. Why don't you post a picture of their enclosure so we can see if there are any environmental concerns. What is the temp and humidity as that too will have a big influence on if your frogs will eat or not? When I first start with a new frog I use paper towels as the substrate so I can make sure all is well with eating and pooping. Then once I'm sure the new frog is healthy and eating properly then I add the substrate of my choice. Check out the care article to make sure you've got everything covered for proper care for your new frogs and give them time to settle in. Sometimes they get stressed just because we're fussing with them too much. They need to be quiet, dark, and alone. Once you've had them for awhile then they wont care that you're watching them eat. Right now they see you as a large predator. Eventually they'll see you as the food God.

vmaxchick

Default Re: Not eating :(

that area has already been dealt with if yu had checked back past spent a fortune on a new tank for the firebellie frogs they have been moved for over a good few days now, just two anolies in beside the tree frogs. There is poop but prob from anolies as i have watched them eat during the day. The frogs well i have put crickets in at night etc for over a week now and counted etc and none taken.
    I was warned to be careful as the crickets can hide in the moss and often if they are roaming attack the frogs, so due to that tend to put them in a glass bowl and wedge in into the moss.

The moss is better for the humidity i find and some bad reports in relation to paper towels i have found........never seen the frogs active either but that's ok as they are night time frogs i know that but the food issue concerns me, i dealt with lizards for years never had to rescue frogs......

Thread Information