Thread: Some advice please :)

jags78

Default Some advice please :)

i have posted this on intros as well but just spotted this section hope you dont mind...

hi im jags, i have a 17gall fishtank with 4 tetres in 5 blindcave fish, and a blue unknown one...we went to the local fish place and saw this lovely ikkle albino frogs...albino afican clawed frog..i believe,

now the lady at the shop didnt tell me they wouldnt be wanting to eat my fish and told me they would be totally fine....i had my son with me and i went with it and got 2 of them....now i have been doing lots of reading up on them (afterwards i know ) and im thinking they need a bigger tank on their own?

they are ok in the fish tank now and i can still see all my fish....they seem to be hiding behind the filter system alot,

i do tend to panic and get some much info that i get brain blocked and dont know what to do for the best, the only other tank we have is a kids one and its alot smaller than what they are in...

iv been feeding them bloodworms, as the lady in the shop said fish food is fine..but i have read up that its not enough...

so any advice and help would be appreciated i wanna do my best with the lil guys,

thanks jags xx

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Some advice please :)

albino frogs are albino african clawed frogs and with out a doubt, they will make a meal of tetras.

they are best kept in a species only tank and for two you will need a 20 gallon tank just for them

any type of fish, smaller frog, shrimp etc they will eat - - if it is smaller then them it is lunch.

keep in mind that these are fast growing frogs - - they will reach their full grown size with in the next 8-12 months. males are 4" in body and females are 6" (this does not count their legs!)
    Last edited by Jenste; November 5th, 2010 at 06:36 AM. Reason: typos

jags78

hi thanks for your reply,just a few more questions if you dont mind

i have set up a smaller tank with filter and heater some silk flowers and some cave for them to hide in, i did this so i can put them in there till we can get a bigger tank...they are still really small at the min so should be ok till next week sometime...

the water has been running for a day or 2, does the water have to be just right? shall i get it tested before i put them in, or will they be ok?

the water has just been treated with tap safe...nothing else,

sorry for the daft questions...i just dont wanna harm them,

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jags78 View Post
    now the lady at the shop didnt tell me they wouldnt be wanting to eat my fish and told me they would be totally fine....i had my son with me and i went with it and got 2 of them....now i have been doing lots of reading up on them (afterwards i know ) and im thinking they need a bigger tank on their own?
    I think the pet shop lady was confused about the species of clawed frog. There are basically two kinds of clawed frogs that are available in the pet trade. The albinos are known as the common African clawed frog. They are large frogs that will eat just about anything they can get into their mouth, including small and medium sized fish. There is another type of clawed frog known as the African dwarf clawed frog that doesn't harm most aquarium fish. It is best to keep your albinos in a tank by themselves.

iv been feeding them bloodworms, as the lady in the shop said fish food is fine..but i have read up that its not enough...
    Bloodworms are a no-no. They have little or no nutritional value and can be hazardous to your frogs. I recommend feeding them night crawlers or Tetra's Repto-Min. Repto-Min alone will provide your frogs with all the nutrition they need. I use it exclusively.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

i have set up a smaller tank with filter and heater some silk flowers and some cave for them to hide in, i did this so i can put them in there till we can get a bigger tank...they are still really small at the min so should be ok till next week sometime...
    Jen has made a good recommendation. Since these frogs get quite large, you should keep them in a 20 gallon tank. Right now, a smaller tank shouldn't be a problem.

the water has been running for a day or 2, does the water have to be just right? shall i get it tested before i put them in, or will they be ok? the water has just been treated with tap safe...nothing else,
    Make sure the water is well aged, that is all the chlorine and other chemicals have been removed. Clean rain water, bottled spring water (NOT distilled or mineral) or treated water would be fine. I treat the water using Stress-Coat, but any good tropical fish water conditioner will work too. The ideal water temperature should be about 20 degrees C (68 degrees F).

sorry for the daft questions...i just dont wanna harm them,
    No problem, please ask away There are plenty of people on the forum that will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
    Last edited by tgampper; November 5th, 2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: minor corrections

jags78

fanks guys, im going today to get them some of the reptostuff,and a new tank....set that up then i will feel better that they are in there, the fish are eating everything before it gets to the bottom so im worried that they havent been eating alot!!

Thread Information