Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Substrate question

gtr319

Default Substrate question

What kind of substrate are you guys currently using for your whites tree frog? I am looking for alternative because the substrate is kinda messy as Marshi tends to climb around the tank and I see nothing buy dirt. Any suggestion?

YouTube - White's Tree Frogs eating Locusts

I pulled this video out from youtube because this owner did not use a substrate, do you guys think this will work for the whites tree frog and if so, what kind of material is this??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Greenlove

Default Re: Substrate question

Put some leaf litter or moss over the substrate, it will cut down on the messiness. I have no idea what kind of substrate that is in the video. If no one is able to answer that question, maybe you can ask the person who posted the video in there comments section.

wesleybrouwer

I am almost certain it is a cocosfiber background panel.
    It is named coco background by lucky reptile,
    google it

gtr319

background panel as a substrate? How does that work??

wesleybrouwer

You just put the background panel on the ground instead of putting it on the back
    I have no experience with using the coco panel on the bottom but it works with fern tree panels, so i don't see why you cant use this

gtr319

is it washable? I mean the reason why I asked because substrate in both of my pacmans' tank as well as my WTF's tank all share the same problem, they grew mold... For the Pacman I have no choice, but if WTF can use the coco panel or tree panels w/o mold grow on it, I would think of switching... but I wonder how to keep the humidity? Help anyone?

bshmerlie

I uses sheet moss over the coco fibre. It looks like mini grass and you can see it in my photo album. I change it out every couple of months or when it starts to look trampled.

gtr319

Hey Cheri, will reptile carpet work? From what I see from the youtube, the frog seem ok with the coco board... but the question is, how to maintain humidity?

bshmerlie

I don't think the reptile carpet will help with humidity very much. But where you live in the bay area it is much more humid than down here so it may not be an issue. Just check to make sure the carpet is very soft the ones I felt seemed too abrasive for soft frog bellies. Nothing worse than a frog with carpet Burns.

gtr319

I'm just brain storming right now, and it doesn't have to be reptile carpets. I just want something that doesn't mold. Strangely enough that all my substrate mold, for my pacmans I understood because the service aren't always dry. But the substrate for Marshmallow is always dry via the heat bulb.

And I found out this morning (around 3 - 4 am) that Marshmallow is having a hard time climbing the glass. Is there anyway to solve it? Seeing her try so hard breaks my heart because there is nothing much I can do.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I decided today to add a layer of the New Zealand Moss over all my Coconut base which was keeping all my Whites looking like dirt balls.

While at NERD's store, Zoo Creatures, I watched some Bumblebee Dart Frogs having no troubles moving around and staying clean. Asked the staff a few quick questions and was on my way home with some new Moss.

Looks good and gave me some inspiration to rearranging the floor of the enclosure some.

gtr319

@ Cheri: artificial or real sheet moss? And do those moss comes in sheets? I want to lay them down like a carpet~

@ Don: I tried sphagnum moss, but they are so loose and gave the crickets a lot of hiding place when feeding, is your New Zealand Moss carpet like or loose?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Its loose but I packed it down pretty well. I see what you mean by hiding places though.
    Since I just put it in it is still pretty compacted but I'm sure it will loosen up and create more hiding places as it ages.

Wifes gonna hang me tonight since I let free a few large crickets while doing the remod and they are all singing me to the gallows.

gtr319

haha, I hope those few large crickets don't do a mini concert in front of your wife... but is there such moss out there where its like a carpet and you just need to trim to fit?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gtr319 View Post
    haha, I hope those few large crickets don't do a mini concert in front of your wife... but is there such moss out there where its like a carpet and you just need to trim to fit?
    Oh, I have better than mini concert now. They have made their way under her side of the bed and under her night stand so I think I'm going to be sleeping on the floor tonight.

The Whites are out hunting in full force now so at least the crickets in the enclosure are probably going to be short lived tonight.

gtr319

So I found sheet moss on amazon, do I just lay them on top of the substrate? Or do I need to do more??

bshmerlie

You can get sheet moss at Michael's or most craft stores. It is live moss that is sold in 12x12 sheets with dirt on the back. Look on the package and it will say if it is safe to use with live animals. It will also say if it is perfume free. Rinse it when you get home and set it on top of the coco fibre. You can cut it with scissors before you rinse it so it can go around plants. I've used it in Every tank I've ever had with frogs for the last 3 years. I tear off smaller pieces and hot glue them to branches to add color. It will stay green as long as it is not soaking in water. Normal humidity or misting will not turn it brown. It costs 6 bucks per package. I change it every so often if certain areas get trampled too much. Crickets can't hide in it and it is very soft.

19. This member thanks bshmerlie for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I put my moss right on top of my substrate after giving it a good rinse in a bucket.
    It seemed messy to put in but packed right down, looks nice, and already the frogs are in it more than when the coconut was the floor.

After I remodeled, I realized I didn;t put in the coffee cup I had with some Bamboo growing in. Kinda felt bad since this was where my littlest White hangs out at night.
    Gonna have to think about remodeling again if I don;t see him adjusting to the changes.

gtr319

Thx Cheri and Don, I was having headache on where to get them. Now I know where to get moss with out creating the hiding room for the meals of Marshmallow.

One question on the side, what is the humidity should be for the WTF? I think Marshmallow is having a hard time to climb on the glass is due to the fact that the glass is too wet, do you agree?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

My Whites slide down the glass due to the mess of coco fiber on them. I have my humidity at 50 to 60 percent but want to get it back up to 70. My temps are 80 in the day and 70 at night and the humidity rises to 60 - 65 at night with just the wet moss.

One of my Whites had a growth spurt too... he is huge compared to the others. One is still so tiny and eats well so I'm starting to wonder if I should separate him from the other three so he doesn't become a meal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information