Thread: White's Tree Frog Question.

allymercy

Default White's Tree Frog Question.

We have just purchased a white's frog this past weekend from Petsmart. We did not do any research when we made the purchase, and we should have I admit. When we were talking to the associates at petsmart we were asking questions on if they are easy to raise, good for a 10 year old, how often do they eat, how often do we change their cage, do they require a temperture monitor in their cage, do they require a specific cage so on and so forth. We were told that they only need a few crickets every few days, and they were easy to care for and a hardy frog. She was quite active when we were bringing her home, she had her little nose pressed against of the lid and begging with her little slanty eyes to be let out.
    That night after we got her set up in her cage she was running all over the place catching her crickets. She ate all 6 of them the first night and so set in a box of 30 in there today and this afternoon she was eating them, but she didnt seem to be running around so much today. All she has done in the last 24 hrs is stay curled up inside her log and I only seen her come out a little bit this afternoon to eat. So I took her out to take a couple pictures of her and she just wanted to curl up in my hand and sit on her little feet. She did not want to move around. I put a lamp on her today because I was afraid she might be cold, we put her in the warmest room in the house away from any drafts and she is in a 10 gallon fish tank with a screen on the top to prevent wandering.

I have some sort of moss that the petstore people recommended. Should I purchase one of the eco terriums or latch glass containers for her? Is there a specific bedding I should use? How often should we feed her and how much? Does she need a light or some thing on the bottom of the cage to keep her warm? Is tap water bad for spraying her down and putting in her water bowl? How often should I change her cage? And please excuse me but what will her fecal matter look like? I have not noticed any in her cage since we purchased her? Also she seems to have a pinky purple color to her legs, is this normal?

Please excuse my inexperience and possible over concerned but my daughter absolutely loves her little frog and I do not know who would be more devestated if something would happen to her, my daugher or me. Any and all advice is deeply appreciated. Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: White's Tree Frog Question.

Hello and welcome.
    I moved this post so more people will see it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi AllyM,
    First off.. welcome. Below are just some pointers or ideas to help you get started.
    1.) Yes, a Eco glass sided open mesh top is a must.
    2.) Yes, a compact light is a must to give heat and create humidity. No light is actually required by you frog since he is nocturnal.
    3.) Whites Tree Frogs like to climb and usually sleep near the top of your terrarium. Add vines hanging from the top and when you select an enclosure go more for height than width.
    4.) You can use paper towels as a bottom and put in some wood or bamboo to create things to climb. Plenty of hiding spaces are also needed and the vines work well for this. Hang the vines from your top and try to blend it into the wood for climbing ease.
    You can also use a Coco-Fiber base with Moss on top to create a more natural appearance. You can put in some small live bromalaides (spelling?) in pots with top soil to give places to climb but ensure any fertilizer is washed off before putting in.
    5.) The Coco-fiber and moss setup is a better way to go since it will help in keeping the humidity up. You want about 60 - 70 percent humidity and day temps of 80 degrees. Night should drop down to your homes room temp, 68 - 70 degrees. You can raise or lower your humidity by the amount of heat you allow to lose from the top. Your whites need air flow so don't cut off all the airflow.
    6.) Use a small under tank heater to help with keeping humidity up during the night if needed. Mist the tank daily at a minimum with water treated with a water conditioner.
    7.) Have a low level water dish provided and also condition any water that ever goes into the terrarium. Change the water daily since they will go to the bathroom in it.
    8.) Feed a few crickets a few times a week. Dust the crickets once a week with reptiles calcium. Also provide your crickets food to fill their gut and water or cricket drink.

Finally) Look at some of the members setups and at some of the frog breeders web sites such as Josh and Brians. Read the Whites Tree Frog Care Sheets also.

Good luck and plan before you buy. Draw what you want to accomplish so you get it close to right the first time.

Rocko

The activity level of your frog definitely goes down as it gets used to its environment, so while it will be easy to care for, for a 10 year old they may be disappointed with the lack of excitement. As far as poo is concerned it's pretty unmistakeably poop, so you'll be able to tell. Be careful with over feeding, as these frogs do have a habit of getting fat fast.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi AllyM
    I just make a small list of what I would start with if doing just one or maybe 2 Whites Tree Frogs.
    This list is provided to give you an idea of what you'll need to start off. There are many brands out there and the ones I selected are for example only.

Exo-Terra Glass Terrarium (12X12X18) - $59.99 - Taller is better for you Whites

Exo-Terra Canopy Top (11.8 x 3.5 x 5.9 inches) - $23.99 - Plus choose about a 15 or 25 watt bulb to run at least 12 hours a day. Temps should be 80 degrees in the day and its trial and error with choosing the bulb to get this right

Exo-Terra Desert Heatwave under tank heater (Extra Small) - $17.99
    I use this in case its cool at night and I need to raise temp up and create humidity at night

Hydroton 2L (8/16 mm) - $3.95 - Bottom Layer you might need two packages

Plantation Soil - $3.59 - 2nd from bottom layer (coco-fiber works well too) Again you might need two packages

Long Fiber Sphagnum Moss (200 g) - $4.95 - Top Layer New Zealand Moss can be bought in a sheet also - one package covers a 12 x 12 inch bottom easily

Exo-Terra Digital Thermo-Hygrometer - $19.99 - Placed near top where your Whites will be hiding. The 3 - 4 dollar ones are fine just compare them to others on display to make sure they are working

Exo-Terra Spray Bottle (2 Liter) - $7.99 - Mist daily at a minimum

Add: Vines, Piece of wood or bamboo pieces, Water Dish, Water Conditioner, Wipe Out surface cleaner, Cricket feed and drink, and any other decorations to create hides and places to climb.

Clean anything entering the enclosure such as wood, sticks, water dish, and so on.
    When setting up try to create areas to climb and places to hide in the vines or leaves up high where you'll find them sleeping all day.

Hope this helps

allymercy

Thank you for your reply, we got most of the stuff but we just have her in a 10 gallon fish tank and so I am saving up to put her in a fancier set up with the latch lock. She seems to have perked up after I added the small heater pad, and I think that was more than likely the problem was she was a little chilled and therefore staying a bit lethargic. I am more than certain that you will be hearing from us as new frog parents and having many questions. Thank You again for your reply

Thread Information