Thread: Snails in Tree Frog Terrarium?

Rae

Default Snails in Tree Frog Terrarium?

Hi there, for starters I have a lil grey (male i believe) tree frog Hyla Versicolor!

My husband "apparently" came across an article that he cant remember what site it was on but it said to use regular snails to keep the terrariums clean apparently they clean up the waste and feces. I havent read this anywhere! Any opinions? HELP PLEASE before he puts them in with Frodo!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: Snails in Tree Frog Terrarium?

I'm not too sure about snails. But you can order cultures on springtails or woodlice (pill bugs) that are really inexpesive and they do what you're talking about. Many members here on the forum use them. They will help to keep your tank "cycled" and healthy for your frogs.

4. This member thanks bshmerlie for this post:

firebellied zach

Snails are bottom feeders, but I can't be certain. I used fresh water snails in my fire bellied toad vivarium and they cleaned up all the feces and algae.

peeka

Quote Originally Posted by firebellied zach View Post
    Snails are bottom feeders, but I can't be certain. I used fresh water snails in my fire bellied toad vivarium and they cleaned up all the feces and algae.
    Oooo that's a neat idea. I might do that when I set up my firebelly terrarium.
    Were they ok with the toxins from your FBTs? I thought you couldn't keep anything else with them for that reason.

Ally

Nationality
    [South Africa]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Snails in a viv is not really a great idea in my opinion. They'll chew up every live plant you have, leave snot streaks across the glass and snails are invested with parasites which are easily spread. If you want a great clean up crew organise yourself some small millipedes, these beauts will take care of all left overs and droppings. Also some cockroaches can take care of this but makes sure its a species that is not carnivorous or they'll munch the feeder insects.

But I like the idea of fresh water snails for the FBT!

8. This member thanks Buck Rogers for this post:

Rocko

If you use the fresh water snails, try to use a species that isn't hermaphroditic, others any more than 1 snail will lead to lots of little surprises over time.

daggekko

be careful with roaches in terrariums with live plants. i tried a species when i had clown tree frogs as a food source, problem i ended up with was that the roaches hid way to good to be used as food and they ended up chewing up the leaves of the live plants in the tank.

Rae

Thank-you for all your suggestions and comments and the snails i meant are just the regular ones i would find in the yard/garden ... my husbands all about FREE lol

daggekko

if your going to try snails you might go with some that are lab grown. they'd be safer than the free ones in the garden.

Yahmez

I just found a small land snail out back under some brush. I added him to my gray's viv for cleanup duty. We'll see how it works, but I figure at worst, he will just munch on the plants some. I'm all about 'free' too Rae... lol your husband and I would get along. Why would anyone pay for a 'lab grown' snail, when you can find them in your back yard?

Thread Information