Thread: Pyxie sexing question

andy0158

Default Pyxie sexing question

I have an 8 week year old pyxie, and while handling to clean his viv, I heard him chirp. To my understanding this would mean he's male, or do most juvies chirp? I just wanted to make sure since the pyxie is still young so I can't really sex him.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: Pyxie sexing question

Okay.....forgive me, but your post is kind of confusing. However, if you have an 8 week old Pyxie, it will be dificult to 100% confirm sex, though some members on this Forum could take an educated guess. If you have a year old Pyxie, it will be easy to confirm sex if you are able to post a picture. And a chirp is not an indicator of sex-females can make a variety of sounds, especially when they are handled.

pixiefrogman

Maybe he meant 1 year 8 weeks old.

bshmerlie

Or maybe it was 8 weak one year old pyxies.

Roman

Lol ... thats funny!

Mordecai

Some say at 4 inches you can sex them pretty accurately. Our second group is at around 3 and a half months and some are close to, if not exceeding 4 inches. We are pretty certain which ones are male and female at this point. The males have huge heads and the little ladies heads look more like beaks! So you won't have to wait too long!
    Those little chirps are supposed to intimidate you! haha Ours make them all the time when changing water dishes, or getting them out to feed.. Then there is a second sound that is more of a, well, sorta like soft grunt. It's a hard noise to describe, and even harder to replicate when trying to explain it to some one! haha A lot of them make this noise at night time when the lights are out.

pixiefrogman

Quote Originally Posted by Mordecai View Post
    Some say at 4 inches you can sex them pretty accurately. Our second group is at around 3 and a half months and some are close to, if not exceeding 4 inches. We are pretty certain which ones are male and female at this point. The males have huge heads and the little ladies heads look more like beaks! So you won't have to wait too long!
    Those little chirps are supposed to intimidate you! haha Ours make them all the time when changing water dishes, or getting them out to feed.. Then there is a second sound that is more of a, well, sorta like soft grunt. It's a hard noise to describe, and even harder to replicate when trying to explain it to some one! haha A lot of them make this noise at night time when the lights are out.
    Yea, but did you see the picture of Kevin's male as a baby?

Jace

I love the hissing! My female ABF hisses louder-and better-than one of my cats!!

Kevin1

Like Ella pointed out, they can be sexed at 4 inches with about a 90% accuracy.

Mordecai

Quote Originally Posted by pixiefrogman View Post
    Yea, but did you see the picture of Kevin's male as a baby?
    I'm not sure I did. Could you already tell he was a male?

Mordecai

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I love the hissing! My female African Bullfrog hisses louder-and better-than one of my cats!!
    Oh me too!!! My goodness those ladies are hilarious. I remember coming across a theory about sexing that said females were typically more aggressive (moody I call it) than the males. It sure holds true over here!

Jace

Same with mine, though my one male could give her a run for her money on some days. However, my older male, who was handled lots before I got him, is so laid back. He is the only frog I have that prefers to be held. Strangest thing ever. However, the attitude of the females is why I am looking for another girl. Who doesn't like a fiesty female???

pixiefrogman

Quote Originally Posted by Mordecai View Post
    I'm not sure I did. Could you already tell he was a male?
    I tried to find the original post but I couldn't. I believe it was Kevin who posted a pic of his big male when the male was just a baby, and it looked female.

Jeff Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by pixiefrogman View Post
    I tried to find the original post but I couldn't. I believe it was Kevin who posted a pic of his big male when the male was just a baby, and it looked female.
    If it is the pics of Chubbz that you are referring to, in none of them does he look to be a female in my opinion.

Kevin1

Tj are you sure those pics were posted on this forum? I remember posting pics of chubbz on another forum. This guy assumed a young pyxie was 100% female. My pic of chubbz got him to shut up real quick.

pixiefrogman

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin1 View Post
    Tj are you sure those pics were posted on this forum? I remember posting pics of chubbz on another forum. This guy assumed a young pyxie was 100% female. My pic of chubbz got him to shut up real quick.
    Oh yea! I think it was on another forum (frog freaks). Can you post that pic here Kevin?

EpicFrogMan

I always turn my guys around to see if they are male or not. If everything is just wide its most likely a male.

Kevin1

When I posted these pics on another forum, I was trying to prove a point.
    That point was that they may look like this or that, you never really know until they get to be older.

[/quote]

I remember when Chubbz was young I could take pics to make him look male or female and I did it on purpose. So I can see for myself just how accurate sexing is at such a young age.

The guy said "99 times out of 100 that frog is female"
    Than I posted a pic of chubbz at 20 months old 7 inches long. He never replied.

Thread Information