Thread: Red Eye Tree Frog possibly sick? Please help

JayF

Default Red Eye Tree Frog possibly sick? Please help

I am kind of new to this and only have had my 18x18x18 tank for about 2 weeks. I only have 1 RETF right now. He is dark green most of the time with a lot of the top of his head lime green dots. There was a very long thread some time ago that had the same problem. I don't know how to get pictures up here i know that would help a alot. I use a fogger for humidity which is around 80 to 85 all the time and temp ranges from 75 at night to about 80 during the day. I stopped feeding him for 3 days because he looked bloated so i wasn't sure if he was backed up or not. Whatever it was his belly basically went back to normal. The only concern that i have is he is awake sometimes during the day and sometimes at night he is sleeping but not the whole time on either or. I fed him last night a cricket with tweasers and he ate it. Not sure if he could food on his own when i tried feeding him again. He possibly went 5 days with no food. His belly looks fat again. Any tips would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tony

Default Re: Red Eye Tree Frog possibly sick? Please help

Five days without food is no problem, but the constant moisture could be an issue. Let the humidity drop down to 50% or so and use the fogger once daily or less. Excess moisture, especially if it is coupled with poor ventilation, can leave red eyes and most other tree frogs prone to bacterial infections.

Kurt

To post a picture, respond to this post and click "go advanced." Then click on the paperclip and follow the instructions.

JayF

I noticed if i let the humidity drop below 70 he goes straight to the bottom where obviously the most moisture is. I actually raised his humidity because that is what i was told to try and he is actually the normal color now during the day and he ate 2 crickets yesterday so not sure if bumping it up helped. I know if i drop it though he becomes unhappy.

kiwibaby

I know this is kind of an older thread but I was wondering if your frog ever got better?

JayF

Yes he got a lot better and is back to normal now. He was just stressed from being in a new environment and me just panicing from being new to frogs. Thanks for asking.

Thread Information