Thread: Whites UNDER moss !?

happypitbull

Default Whites UNDER moss !?

Hi everyone

Im new here, and new to keeping froggies as well, but I have done quite a bit of research before diving into this. (I have kept Anoles yrs back, and am big into the fish hobby, and wanted to expand into a few frogs )

Anywho... to my situation. I recently acquired 2 whites tree frogs. I keep them in a exo-terra tank, 18 x 18 x 24. Temp around 74, humidity high... too high I think, but I have no way to lower it that I know of... its up around 90. I keep a nice layer of moss on the bottom, and a large water dish for them... and yes, I use chlorine remover in the water before use.

I do plan on getting 2 new lights for the top of the tank, to get the temps up a tad more during the day. And yes, they have been eating.

BUT they stay under the moss during the day... I had read if they stayed on the bottom and not on the back wall, under some foliage etc. to sleep, that something could be wrong with them... is this true? Should I be concerned that they bury themselves during the day? And last night, I seen one guy come out and sit in the water bowl and eat,but the other guy only had his head stuck out of the moss, Im not sure if he came out all the way or not.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated !!

Thanks
    Min

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Whites UNDER moss !?

Hi Min, welcome to the forum. It sounds like there is not enough cover (perches, lots of branches, leaves etc) higher up. You could block of one or two sides of the terrarium to help them feel more secure. Your temp is pretty cold - you want at least 80 F, preferably a bit higher.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by happypitbull View Post
    Anywho... to my situation. I recently acquired 2 whites tree frogs. I keep them in a exo-terra tank, 18 x 18 x 24. Temp around 74, humidity high... too high I think, but I have no way to lower it that I know of... its up around 90
    Why is the humidity so high? Does the frog have good ventaltion? Ventalation is very important when it comes to treefrogs.

Quote Originally Posted by happypitbull View Post
    I had read if they stayed on the bottom and not on the back wall, under some foliage etc. to sleep, that something could be wrong with them... is this true? Should I be concerned that they bury themselves during the day?
    Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes treefrogs will sleep on the bottom of the enclosure when they suffer from hypocalcemia, which is a severe calcium deficiency. Usually frogs that have this condition will be lethargic and their appetites will be diminished. So if your frog is active and eating it may not have hypocalcemia. To treat hypocalcemia you will need a fine calcium supplement, Fluker's works well for this, and a syringe for injecting liquids orally. Make a slurry with the calcium and water, put it into the syringe and give to the frog orally. Only do a little bit at a time once a week or so.

happypitbull

Hi and thanks for the welcome and the quick replies.

OK, I do plan on buying more cover and perches for them once I get to my local pet shop again, which is a 1.5hr drive away. And I do plan on buying 2 new light fixtures for the top, for heat lights, one a infra-red bulb for night viewing.

The top of the tank is mesh, so this would provide adequate ventilation would it not?

And the frogs were supplemented with calcium etc, I have 2 containers of powdered stuff to 'shake n' bake' their foods with once a week (previous owner used this weekly as well, not sure on the frog that came from the pet shop though)

The humidity is high, for starters cause I live in an already humid basement, and secondly I keep fish tanks as well I do run a dehumidifier though.

Yfrog - 1001237m

(And sorry for bottom link, cant seem to delete it out)

B1GFROG

Get rid of the moss, and definitely add more perch/hiding spots.

happypitbull

Get rid of moss? But I want to give them a natural environment, and want it to look realistic. And maybe they are just fine under the moss?

I just wanted to know if this was a bad sign or not that they were under there.....

Kurt

The moss is fine. Just had more perches/foliage and see where that takes you. Chances are you're not dealing with hypocalcemia, but we will have a better idea after you have made the changes. The mesh top is fine for ventalation.

happypitbull

Well I added more cover along the walls, and more vines to climb on. I also am now getting the temp up to 80 during the day.

I am still seeing one frog hide in the moss during the day, but at night they both come out and act normal and fine, so I am going to assume nothing is wrong for now

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Min, that's great news! The frogs should get more and more at ease with you and shouldn't hide as much even when sleeping.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

happypitbull

I noticed that today actually, one guy was out during the day, looking for food. Watching me as I walked by the tank, and even coming after items I placed next to the outside of the tank, thinking it was food moving! Cutest thing ever !!

Thread Information