Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed very urgent plz

Waybueno

Default Help needed very urgent plz

My frogs been in his water dish all day today and all of a sudden he flipped over and is tilted to one side and everytime he tries to get his feet under him or move he flips back over on that side, I tried to pick him up and he flipped but when he was in my hand I felt his stomach and it felt like a balloon as filled as it could get like on the verge of popping. Its like he ate to much or something I did get a bigger size when I got him meal worms the other night. Whats going on and what can I do to help him.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: Help needed very urgent plz

Very hard to diagnose but I will give an observation.
    If you feed it in that enclosure with all the exposed substrate material I would guess an impaction from ingesting the substrate. You can try setting him in a bowl of warm water to try and get it loose, this sometimes works. Other than that I am not sure what to tell you. Sorry.

Waybueno

He's not fed in the enclosure, he's taken out and fed in a clean bowl. But I've got him soaking in water right now, see if it helps.

Paul Rust

I sure hope this turns out for the best, good luck.

Waybueno

Yea, me too.

Waybueno

I soaked him for like 15-20minutes in warm water, no poop or nothing so I left him alone. I looked at him now and he is on his reptile hammock sitting like nothing is wrong he looks completely normal but i'm afraid to touch him and make him move to see if he is any better because if he is still messed up which is most likely I don't want to move him where he is comfortable.

Greenlove

I am so new to frogs that I will not be giving any advice. I just wanted to say that it sounds like the warm water may have helped him if he looks normal and is not flipping over anymore. Hopefully the very knowledgeable folks on here will help you through this. Keep updating on his progress. I wish you luck and for your frogs speedy recovery.

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Waybueno View Post
    I soaked him for like 15-20minutes in warm water, no poop or nothing so I left him alone. I looked at him now and he is on his reptile hammock sitting like nothing is wrong he looks completely normal but i'm afraid to touch him and make him move to see if he is any better because if he is still messed up which is most likely I don't want to move him where he is comfortable.
    That is very good news, just be gentle with him for a few days and dont handle him much. Great job!!

Waybueno

Update

Its 7:45AM I got the worst sleep last night because I didnt want to wake up to a dead frog. I have to admit you guys this is my first and only frog i've ever had and I got him when he was the size of a nickel. I never thought ever that I could love a frog so much. I almost couldn't believe how upset I was last night when I watched him flip over I was crying for the longest time and I lost sleep over this.

Well anyways after soaking him I took him out again and soaked him for a little longer, had my boyfriend watch him and I cleaned his tank out, put paper towels down and rinsed all his decor under hot water and put it back in the tank. Only reason I put his decor back is because he doesnt do well with changes and I was already stressin about not having dirt in there. I wet everything down lightly then put him back in and put a little hotter lamp on for the night and covered the tank with a sheet.

When I took the sheet off this morning there was a fat turd in the middle of the tank and he was on his hammock again where I had left him last night. I picked him up and he stayed in my hand and just stared at me, I put him down near his hammock and he walked over and sat on it. I went to cover the tank again which I think startled him because he tried to jump on the side of the tank which wasn't successful so he decided to stay on his hammock.

Should I soak him again today? Should I get more dirt for his tank? What should I get him? Im going to the pet store today for supplies and pet food so this would be helpful, I'll get whatever you think I should get.

Gawd what a scare I just hope that never happens again, what do you think caused this? I know his tank was clean because I had just cleaned it.

The only thing I can think of is A couple days ago I moved into a friends house and brought him with me and there was no heater in the house so I imagine it could have gotten a little colder than normal in his tank especially because the room we were in had a huge like takes up a whole wall huge window in it so it got pretty cold in there. We moved back to our current home because that house was a dump and was flea infested which boggles my mind because the whole house is hardwood floor and theres no dogs there.

Anyways sorry for the huge post kutos to any who actually read it all and thanks for the help you guys!!
    Last edited by Waybueno; October 25th, 2010 at 09:56 AM.

Waybueno

Success!! He climbed to his favorite top corner of the tank!!! This makes me so happy last night I was reading other bloat cases and they all ended the same Budda broke the streak!!!

charlamanda

I am so glad your froggy is ok. I took my froglets in when they were that size too and 3 still are. When I saw your initial post and pic it was hard to look at and I feared the worst, so I am very releived he's doing better. Nothin' like a good poop to make anyone feel much better!LOL

Waybueno

I got him and a sibling of his because I worked at petsmart and pet stores in general like to get them as young as possible because they sell better, and that goes with all animals not just frogs. And while i've never owned a frog before I've owned pretty much everything else and knew because they were so small and in such a stress filled place they may not live so I took them home and wasn't sure if I was going to keep them till they were healthy enough for homes or keep them. Jaba's sibling ended up dieing from unknown cause but Jaba's always never had issues and I got extremely attached ended up keeping him.

BTW i've seen pics you've posted of your baby frogs their sooo cute!

charlamanda

Thanks, I'll be over whelmed with froglets soon when the tads morph. When I intially noticed the tadpoles in my pool ,at the end of spring, I was dumb founded at the numbers. There were thounds in the pool along with dozens of Green Frogs, whom I was watching and checking on. The adult Gray Tree frogs have been using my pool for years for they're chorus parties, but this was the first years they left eggs that morphed and I couldn't figure out why. Then I recalled that in previous years I had added chlorine to control the mosquitoes, which in turn would have killed the eggs and any tadpoles, but would have not been at the strength to harm the adults, since chlorine dissapates and losses it's strength very quickly exposed to the air, sun and rain. I guess it was my timing, I felt horrible when I realized what I had done! This year because there were so many frogs in the pool I didn'y put the chlorine in and in turn saved the tadpoles and the eggs. I was over run by the froglets leaving the pool, but it's been an enjoyable experince. I just never expected, after the froglets all left the pool by the end of July, that it wouldn't happen all over again!!! Now the pool is full of tadpoles again that I am trying to save...I am such a sap!!! I just hope and pray that the Pa fish and boating commission will allow me to give them away or I can get the proper paperwork needed to send them out to people who will take them and care for my lil' babies!

Waybueno

Wow that's amazing! I remember raising tad pools in elementary school and thought it was the coolest thing watching them grow their legs and slowly turn into frogs. I keep my horse at a friends ranch and she has a creek going through it and there's always tad pools in it and HUGE toads like the size of baseballs or bigger, ive saved a number of them from the barn cats or from being stepped on by horses, i've even found one chillin in my horses water bucket like it was the thing to do and my horse wouldn't go near it. lol

I was actually really surprised Jaba lived when I took him and his sibling home they were so small and I knew nothing I thought for sure they'd both pass on but I thought they'd have a better chance home with me anyways and they were so cute I couldn't help myself.
    There was also this girl I worked with and she knows a lot about reptiles and the basics or more about frogs she was a lot of help when I got them.

Julia

Glad your frog is better. I am curious about what may have caused this. You mentioned mealworms in your first post...is that his main diet?

As for substrate you should consider building a false bottom...and covering it with leaf litter. A quick forum search will give you all the info you need on how to do that.

Waybueno

Quote Originally Posted by Julia View Post
    Glad your frog is better. I am curious about what may have caused this. You mentioned mealworms in your first post...is that his main diet?

As for substrate you should consider building a false bottom...and covering it with leaf litter. A quick forum search will give you all the info you need on how to do that.
    His diet is a mixture of crickets and mealworms, since this is my first and only frog I wasnt sure what his main was supposed to be and my friend that has had frogs said to feed him mealworms. lately he has been eating more meal worms than crickets. I dont have a cricket keep(ill get one if you want me to) so I'd by maybe 4 days worth of crickets and feed him till there gone then go get some meal worms then feed those to him till there gone.

But this last time the mealworms I got were a little bigger than normal they were out of small and he ate a good 11 of them or so, I think it could have been caused by him eating to much?

how long should I wait to feed him again?

( I dust all mealworms/crickets that he eats.)

Julia

That is your problem. Mealworms have an exoskeleton made of chitin, which is what your fingernails are made of. Chitin is very hard for a frog to digest and break down. Continuous feedings of meal worms can and most likely will cause an impaction. Crickets should be the main diet. Meal worms should only be offered as treats or not at all. This means 1 or 2 meal worms a month. Try something more nutritious like silk worms or horn worms.

The warm bath that Paul suggested probably saved your frogs life.

Waybueno

That is your problem. Mealworms have an exoskeleton made of chitin, which is what your fingernails are made of. Chitin is very hard for a frog to digest and break down. Continuous feedings of meal worms can and most likely will cause an impaction. Crickets should be the main diet. Meal worms should only be offered as treats or not at all. This means 1 or 2 meal worms a month. Try something more nutritious like silk worms or horn worms.

The warm bath that Paul suggested probably saved your frogs life.
    Now I feel like a horrible frog owner
    I guess I should buy a cricket keep then, the noise they make annoys my step dad.
    Are silkworms more of a treat thing to?
    I wish there were like online feeding charts like feed this monday, this the next feeding time and then crickets again this day.
    Should I give him another warm bath today? He pooped last night sometime when I was sleeping he's still a little sluggish but a lot more normal than he was.

Julia

I don't think you are a bad owner! You just did not know. The fact that you are on this site seeking new information means you care about your frog. Silk worms are kind of pricey so I would not recommend them as a staple. You could buy crickets that are a little bit younger, I think its 4 week old crickets that are still large but too young to make noise. (The dont have their wings yet.)

Another warm bath cant hurt. Im sure your little guy will be fine, I am glad the problem was this simple....a change of diet is an easy fix!

Waybueno

I don't think you are a bad owner! You just did not know. The fact that you are on this site seeking new information means you care about your frog. Silk worms are kind of pricey so I would not recommend them as a staple. You could buy crickets that are a little bit younger, I think its 4 week old crickets that are still large but too young to make noise. (The dont have their wings yet.)

Another warm bath cant hurt. Im sure your little guy will be fine, I am glad the problem was this simple....a change of diet is an easy fix!
    Money is not a problem if silk worms are the kingfrogs meal then thats what he will get and I'll go get a cricket keeper today and some crickets.
    Im gonna give him another warm bath right now and let him sit in the sun with me for a couple minutes.

I feel so much better now at least knowing what caused it so thank you so much. I was actually prepared to get in contact with a vet today and take him in if he wasn't doing better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information