Thread: Which Horned frog?

Malachi

Default Which Horned frog?

I am going to get another horned frog. I have a cranwelli currently. The frog I am thinking on would be an ornate.

How do they all compare? Fantasy, Cornuta and Ornate?

Also where is the best place to order an ornate online?

thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jeff Kennedy

Default Re: Which Horned frog?

Well from our experience with them all. Just speaking from our experience. We will never buy another cornuta, especially since we have acquired our fantasy's. The fantasy's never did much for me when I saw pictures of them but then seeing one in person is a whole other story. They do have long horns and although they may not grow AS long as a truw cornuta's, they are pretty close. They also have the same back pattern as a cornuta and can come in a wide plethera of colors and patterns. Basically you get everything you love about the cornuta, with the ease of care of a pacman. We have had cornuta's that appear to be thriving just up and die with no signs of illness. Some are hard to feed. Fantasy's are crazy feeders hopping on everything as soon as it touches the ground. Ornates are very cool. cool patterns, colors and of course size but if you are contemplating just one more frog at the moment, I'd go with a fantasy. Especially if you can find an all green one. They are tough.

John911

Haven't had our fantasies long enough to form an opinion, but so far they seem more aggressive than the cranwellis we have. But I love our ornates. Our largest(2-3") is a pretty aggressve eater, and never burrows. I have heard that ornata don't burrow as much, but this one is always out. Is this normal anyone? Lol.

SethD

Of the three horned frog species easily obtainable in the US I prefer ornate's over the others. In my opinion they are among the best looking of the horned frogs and they usually have an extremely strong feeding response as well.

Malachi

I ended up with 2 ornates from LLL reptiles. They arrived healthy and ate within 5 mins of being placed in their cage!

jelkins

I'm sure you'll be pleased...I got my ornate from LLL also and it ate almost immediately.
    Last edited by jelkins; October 26th, 2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: misspelling

Mercedesherp

Captive born C.cornuta are essentially no different from any other. They may be a bit more aggressive, but the captive produced animals are a far cry from any wild caught.
    Don't allow yourself to manipulated into submission because of bad experiences with wild caught animals.experienced by others. Cbb C. cornuta, are worthy of any keepers attention.

9. This member thanks Mercedesherp for this post:

SethD

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedesherp View Post
    Captive born C.cornuta are essentially no different from any other. They may be a bit more aggressive, but the captive produced animals are a far cry from any wild caught.
    Don't allow yourself to manipulated into submission because of bad experiences with wild caught animals.experienced by others. Cbb C. cornuta, are worthy of any keepers attention.
    I am sure they are, they are also not easily located because they are only occasionally produced and are quickly snapped up at considerably higher prices than most other CB horned frogs(excluding the new species that have just begun to become available)

Minhocao

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kennedy View Post
    Well from our experience with them all. Just speaking from our experience. We will never buy another cornuta, especially since we have acquired our fantasy's. The fantasy's never did much for me when I saw pictures of them but then seeing one in person is a whole other story. They do have long horns and although they may not grow AS long as a truw cornuta's, they are pretty close. They also have the same back pattern as a cornuta and can come in a wide plethera of colors and patterns. Basically you get everything you love about the cornuta, with the ease of care of a pacman. We have had cornuta's that appear to be thriving just up and die with no signs of illness. Some are hard to feed. Fantasy's are crazy feeders hopping on everything as soon as it touches the ground. Ornates are very cool. cool patterns, colors and of course size but if you are contemplating just one more frog at the moment, I'd go with a fantasy. Especially if you can find an all green one. They are tough.

Never find out because they die? Kim might ask?
    Maybe he knows that is what may be happening.

Thread Information