Thread: Bare bottom

Greenlove

Default Bare bottom

Does anyone do a bare bottom in their vivariums? I was using paper towels until I read that wasn't a good idea because when they get wet, they leach chemicals that they were made with. I was using a substrate at first but the froglets spent most of their time kicking it of them, or out of their mouths when they fed.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Bare bottom

Covering the substrate with sheet moss or leaf litter will help keep it from sticking to the frogs or being ingested and looks much nicer than bare glass.

(I'm proud of myself for not making a joke about putting my bare bottom in my vivariums. Even prouder that I didn't take a picture.)

4. This member thanks UncleChester for this post:

Greenlove

LOL----haha------ yes, I'm also very proud of you for not doing that. Where can I find this sheet moss and leaf litter?

Jace

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    Covering the substrate with sheet moss or leaf litter will help keep it from sticking to the frogs or being ingested and looks much nicer than bare glass.

(I'm proud of myself for not making a joke about putting my bare bottom in my vivariums. Even prouder that I didn't take a picture.)
    Especially since Brian takes amazingly clear and detailed pictures...leaving nothing to the imagination!!

I use moss that comes in compact bricks that expand when placed in water. All my frogs seem to love it and it helps with much needed humidity. I would love to try leaf litter as I have seen it used in other members setups (and looks amazing, I might add), but I have yet to find it where I am. Best of luck!

7. This member thanks Jace for this post:

Greenlove

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Especially since Brian takes amazingly clear and detailed pictures...leaving nothing to the imagination!!

I use moss that comes in compact bricks that expand when placed in water. All my frogs seem to love it and it helps with much needed humidity. I would love to try leaf litter as I have seen it used in other members setups (and looks amazing, I might add), but I have yet to find it where I am. Best of luck!
    Can you please tell me the name brand of the compact bricks that you use and where you buy it? I think I would like to try it since you like it so much

Greenlove

[QUOTE=Jace;37978]Especially since Brian takes amazingly clear and detailed pictures...leaving nothing to the imagination!!

LOL

My moss is collected off rocks growing in the bush in an area I know to be free of chemicals. It's the type that can be peeled off in large flat sheets, making it ideal for covering the ground in a vivarium.

Likewise for collecting leaves. I've been using a type of oak leaves for the past year, but I'm currently giving a magnolia tree the evil eye to encourage it's leaves to start dropping (seriously, 80% of the trees around are bare and this magnolia is nearly fully green).

11. This member thanks UncleChester for this post:

bshmerlie

I use sheet moss that I purchase from the craft store Michaels. I'm sure you can get it at most craft supply stores. They sell many different packages. It is flat and looks like miniture grass. You can see it in my photo album I've been using it for years in all my tanks. It does not hold up well sitting in water as it will turn brown but it does great with normal humidity and misting in the tanks, I also tear off small pieces and hot glue them to branches and the background to add color. The packages that I buy are around 6 bucks and it is about one square foot. Read the back of the packages for the specific details of the moss you're looking at when you're at the store. They do sell some that have perfumes on them and you'll want to stay away from those. On the back of the package it will say if it is all natural and that it is "safe for use with animals in terrariums". It should also say that it "contains no perfumes". All of them will say on the back if they are safe with animals or not, at least all the ones that Michaels carries. I replace my moss on the floor of my tank every 4 - 6 months or so if it gets trampled by frogs or my cricket bowls or if it turns brown at any spot. It is very soft and doesn't need lighting to stay green. The only thing that will turn it brown is when it is sitting in water. I put it directly over the coco fiber so the soil doesn't stick to my red eyes skin. The crickets also can't hide in it because its very short.

13. 2 members thank bshmerlie for this post:

Greenlove

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    My moss is collected off rocks growing in the bush in an area I know to be free of chemicals. It's the type that can be peeled off in large flat sheets, making it ideal for covering the ground in a vivarium.

Likewise for collecting leaves. I've been using a type of oak leaves for the past year, but I'm currently giving a magnolia tree the evil eye to encourage it's leaves to start dropping (seriously, 80% of the trees around are bare and this magnolia is nearly fully green).
    Aren't you afraid of bringing in some unwanted bacteria or insects with the wild moss? I was thinking of doing this myself, as I live in the country and can probably find some wild moss too, until I read a post that said they had their terrarium infested with mites after they brought stuff from outside and put it in their enclosures. How do you keep that from happening to you? I have hundreds of trees around my property and wouldn't mind collecting my own leaf litter if I can keep the unwanted stuff out.

Greenlove

Thank you Cheri. This really helps a lot. I have a Michaels craft store not to far from me. I am going to go there tomorrow and see if I can find this moss, **Happy Dance**, I'm very excited to hear that you have used it for years without problems. I'm so afraid to put new stuff in the enclosures because all I keep hearing is how fragile frogs are, it makes me so nervous. I have lost so much sleep worrying about my little fellas. I always want to do the very best I can for them. Thanks again!

Thread Information