Thread: Safe adhesive?

AndyB

Default Safe adhesive?

i use an analog hygrometer, but it seems that the adhesive that keeps it stuck to the glass has lived out it's last day. Is there a "Frog safe glue" that i could use to re-attach it? and if so, will it be permenant? (incase i have to remove it in the future). Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Safe adhesive?

You could use aquarium silicone or the "Dries white" Gorilla Glue, but you would have to remove your frogs from the terrarium for a few days due to the fumes.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

spec

I use duct tape, gorilla brand. It is very sticky and easily removable. Moisture and humidity isn't a factor as long as it's applied when dry and clean.

AndyB

hmm, i dont want to remove my frog if i dont have to. I'll give the tape a shot, hopefully it wont look too sketchy. Worst case i buy a new Hygrometer.

spec

I just bought a digital therm/hygrometer from wally world. 8 bucks each and you can either pop the stand out or on the clip on the back it has a magnet. I'm going to try to get a decently strong magnet to see if it will hold. on the other hand after i opened it and red instructions it said to keep it away from water and heat for accuracy... i was like uhhhh ok? it also keeps track of the lows and highs, I thought this may be usefull info. Here are some pics, also I don't know if i noticed it was an indoor meter so i'm keeping it with my original ones to compare accuracy. It does tell you when you've got a really high humidy tho, kind of nifty. you can see the magnet and the clip i'm talking about. it's spring loaded but if you look closly it's got a kick stand to hold it open. yea.... 8 bucks
    Attached Images Attached Images   

AndyB

i just had an "Aha!" moment. I have some velcro strips in a box with some art supplies, and they have a sticky back to them. I think this might be a good solution. This will make for easy removal and if i have to replace it in the future i'll just slap some velcro on the new one!

I did notice this morning that my hygrometer had a water build up inside, making it very difficult to read. Perhaps this contributed to the glue going bad? It may just be that these things only last a year or so, I'll see if i can still salvage it.

Let me know how that digital therm/hygro works out, and if it does, what the brand name is. I don't have a wally world anywhere in my area but stores may carry the same item.

spec

Acurite is the name. Seems to be about a 3F° difference between my old one and the digitaland it's the same with humidity%

Thread Information