Thread: My frog turned brown!

rinaann

Default My frog turned brown!

I know it is normal for them to change colors, but my little "guy" (unsure of sex, but i call him a he lol) has turned brown. ive had him for about 4 months now. when i first got him he was always green, and then all of a sudden he turned brown about 2 weeks ago. i don't think much has changed in his care, he is still eating and has his water changed many times a day and is misted oftern, but he is still brown. Is this something to really worry about? Am I doing somehting wrong? Any advice?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: My frog turned brown!

Pictures would help-could you take some of him and his setup? What are the temps and humidity usually? What are you feeding him, how often and is he getting supplements? And what kind of frog he is...there are so many threads and members, we can't always keep track of who has what....though we try our best!

rinaann

Well he is a whites tree frog, (sorry i forgot to put that in the original post) the temp is about 85ish, the humidity is always over 50%, he is currently in a pretty big Rubbermaid contain that opens up in the front that has many hole in it (for ventilation) it is going up and down (so he has room to climb) there is a big water dish in the bottom and branches and fake leaves for him to climb on. i can not take picture right now because i cant find my camera but as soon as i can i will take pictures of him

rinaann

oh and i use the stuff that comes in a brick and then you add water too it for substrate i forgot to mention that lol

Kurt

Is the enclosure dark, either in color or lighting? If so, its normal for them to turn brown in an attempt to match its background.

rinaann

there are some lights in the room that are on during the day, but it is dark at night

rinaann

I'm still having some issues with my little guy. here is a picture from when we first got him
    and here is a current picture

he looks much darker brown in person

(sorry for the bad quality)

he has also started croaking at night, does that have anything to do with it?
    sorry for all the stupid questions

Jace

Honestly, your frog looks very good. He is chubby (I always like chubby frogs myself) and he has no blemishes or anything to indicate he is in less than perfect health. I always take calling as a good sign-if they were not in the right conditions and ill, they would not be advertising themselves to get a mate. Because there are so many factors that can affect why your little guy is a different colour, I think as long as he is eating, calling and being himself, there really is nothing to worry about. Regardless of the colour, you have a very handsome frog.

Kurt

Yes, I agree the frog looks just fine.

rinaann

okay thanks guys!
    I guess im just paranoid. He is a cool little guy.

Kurt

You're welcome.

Jace

We're here to help. Just like any old super hero. Only Kurt wears tights, though.

Thread Information