Thread: Big Eyed Tree Frog Escape!

DanM

Default Big Eyed Tree Frog Escape!

(Originally I posted this in the wrong section, sorry!)

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to put this, but anyway..

Sometime in the middle of the night last night, my Big Eyed Tree Frog escaped her tank (with the help of the White's Tree Frog that is an apparent escape artist, whom I found on my carpet this morning covered in hair and looking sick (he's fine now))
    But I can't find the BETF anywhere and I was wondering if people could help me out with a few things:

1)How long can she survive in my bedroom outside of her tank (how long do I have to find her?)
    2)Where would be some good general spots to look? (I feel like I've looked everywhere, but my room is really a mess)
    3)If I leave a dish of water+moss out on my floor, will she know to go there at night if I can't find her during the day?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: Big Eyed Tree Frog Escape!

Depending on how dry the air in your room is (ie if you have a window or vents open), your frog may not last long. Then again, my house is really dry, and I have been fortunate enough to find an escapee 48 hours after I noticed he was missing.

Frogs can hide anywhere, and usually turn up when you least expect them. I would place various water dishes around the room-some down on the floor, others on shelves or ledges, and keep the lights low or off. Your frog will naturally try and find a water source, so the more you have available, the better chance he will find one and not dry out.

Best of luck and let us know what happens.

4. This member thanks Jace for this post:

DanM

Thank you for the advice, I'll see if I can't place a few more dishes out around the room. Also, I found the White's by accident, I was on my laptop and I saw him hopping around on the floor. When I found him he was covered in hair, looked about half his normal girth, and was a deep grey/brown. I put him in his tank right away, and since then he has seemed to brighten and gain his width back, was he just dehydrated?

Ribbitmethis

If you have any electronics, look around them. My BETF has an OBSESSION with electronics that almost got him killed twice. One of his escape attempts, I found him on the tv, and entirely fine; the other escape time he took a nap behind my desktop computer and I found him 6 hours later looking like someone had stuck him in a dehydrator (he had placed himself in the way of the warm but very dry pc ventilation).
    I'd recommend a room-by room search, as they can probably get under cracks in the doors if you have them, and do a strip search of the room the tank is in.

Your white's was probably just stressed. Handle him as little as possible and make sure you have fresh water in his terrarium and he should be fine.

charlamanda

In the last month I've had 2 escapes. The first 4 out of 10 got out, but didn't make it very far. I found all four of them next to the tank being pawed at by my declawed cat, Tiger, they were all fine.
    Several days ago I had the second escape, 2 got out. One was still next to the escape route on the tank and the other was under the stove. We found that one because Buster, another cat, was pacing, pawing and howling in front of it. It too was engulfed in fur, bloated to the point it could have floated, dry as the desert and looked dead. Thank the frog Gods after I meticulously removed the fur and gave him/her a good soaking froggy has deflated and is also just fine. Both times I found them very shortly after their escapes, probably less than 12 hours.
    I think the reason froggy was under the stove was because it was heading to the sliding back glass door. I assume it was going to the glass door try to find it's way out, but got waylaid by the cats or realized it couldn't get through the glass!
    Do you have any windows? Check around there and if you have blinds or a curtains open them and leave a bowl of water there too. Also check shelves, around the bed and headboard, under your dressers, look around the tank and anything green, mine seem to gravitate towards green stuff!
    I hope you find her soon and hopefully she will find the water. Please let us know because I know I'll keep wondering what going on and if she's ok.
    BTW.. Did you say you have your White's and BETF in the same tank? If you do you may want to consider getting another tank so each species has their own. I myself had inadvertantly took in a Spring Peeper froglet, while selecting Gray Tree froglets to take in as pets. I was told that different frogs have their own secretions that can be toxic to other frogs and mixing species is a no, no! I let the peeper go, reluctantly, since, at the time, I didn't have another tank and they will peep even if they are kept at a constant temp and humidity. Sorry Peeper!

Paul Rust

You already have some great advice there.
    I deleted the original thread for you.

DanM

My girlfriend just found her dried up and dead behind a bookcase in my room that I already looked behind twice. I feel really stupid though because she's obviously been there all day as she's completely stiff and covered in hair. I put her in a dish of water to let her body absorb some of it so she doesn't look as bad when we bury her </3
    Thanks for the help and suggestions though, everyone. I really appreciated it.

bshmerlie

Sorry to hear she didn't make it

Paul Rust

Oh no!
    Sorry to hear that..

charlamanda

l was so hopping for a better outcome, sorry for your loss.

Jace

I am so sorry! I hope your White's has recovered and that you and your girlfriend are okay...

Thread Information