Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Female or to soon to tell?

The frogs are certainly old enough to tell what sex they are. In albino frogs, it is very easy to tell apart by looking at their fingers. I included a guide to help you determine sex:

Common Platanna (Xenopus laevis)
    How to tell the difference between boys and girls

It is very easy to tell the difference between sexually mature clawed frogs. ACFs generally mature in about one year. Unlike most frogs, both male and female frogs vocalize, so a calling frog does not necessarily mean it is a male.

Males
    * adult males are smaller (3-5 inches, 130 mm)
    * body is long and narrow
    * presence of nuptial pads on the underside of the forelimbs
    * the cloaca is not swollen

Females
    * adult females are larger (4-6 inches, 147 mm)
    * body is plump and pear shaped
    * the cloaca is swollen

** nuptial pads (black, thick spines on the forearms) give males a good grip on the female during amplexus (mating embrace)

** the cloaca (vent) is the opening through which the digestive, excretory and reproductive tracts empty
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

frogerman

Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    The frogs are certainly old enough to tell what sex they are. In albino frogs, it is very easy to tell apart by looking at their fingers. I included a guide to help you determine sex:

Common Platanna (Xenopus laevis)
    How to tell the difference between boys and girls

It is very easy to tell the difference between sexually mature clawed frogs. ACFs generally mature in about one year. Unlike most frogs, both male and female frogs vocalize, so a calling frog does not necessarily mean it is a male.

Males
    * adult males are smaller (3-5 inches, 130 mm)
    * body is long and narrow
    * presence of nuptial pads on the underside of the forelimbs
    * the cloaca is not swollen

Females
    * adult females are larger (4-6 inches, 147 mm)
    * body is plump and pear shaped
    * the cloaca is swollen

** nuptial pads (black, thick spines on the forearms) give males a good grip on the female during amplexus (mating embrace)

** the cloaca (vent) is the opening through which the digestive, excretory and reproductive tracts empty
    must both be females as far as I can figure thanks
    I was hoping someone could tell by the pics thou but they have no pads

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frogerman View Post
    must both be females as far as I can figure thanks
    I was hoping someone could tell by the pics thou but they have no pads
    I would have guessed the same, based on the fact that they had swollen vents and no black pads. Although, it did appear that the frog in photo #3 has blackened fingers. If you can post a frontal shot of your frogs, showing the underside of their fingers, then it shouldn't be any problem to determine sex.

frogerman

I would have guessed the same, based on the fact that they had swollen vents and no black pads. Although, it did appear that the frog in photo #3 has blackened fingers. If you can post a frontal shot of your frogs, showing the underside of their fingers, then it shouldn't be any problem to determine sex.
    Only one I got so far

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Looks like a female to me. I would be best to get one or two more (depending on size of tank). I usually allow 2 frogs per 10 gallons. I would not matter if they were female or male, they seem to get along well. I have 2 males that have been living together for 10 years.

frogerman

Looks like a female to me. I would be best to get one or two more (depending on size of tank). I usually allow 2 frogs per 10 gallons. I would not matter if they were female or male, they seem to get along well. I have 2 males that have been living together for 10 years.
    Ya I thought they were female they both look the same and dirty hands on either Right now they are in a 10g due to 20g got cracked luckily I had a 10g for backup now all I got for backup is a plastic tub but it'll work in a jam Do your males sing I've listened to them on utube when I had just 1 so I went and got another hoping 1 would be a male guess nt so now when I get a bigger tank I'll have to get a couple more and hope 1 is male

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I would say female, i two males, they are'nt as 'pearshaped' as your frog and it seems the cloaca is more swallen and my males don't have that

10. This member thanks AlbinoFroggy for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Do your males sing I've listened to them on utube when I had just 1 so I went and got another hoping 1 would be a male guess nt so now when I get a bigger tank I'll have to get a couple more and hope 1 is male
    Yes, my males call every night. Since I also have a couple of females, I often hear duets. Female ACFs also call especially when males are around. Females have at least 2 different calls - "ticking" means the female is not ready for mating; "rapping" tels the male that she is ready for mating.

frogerman

Yes, my males call every night. Since I also have a couple of females, I often hear duets. Female ACFs also call especially when males are around. Females have at least 2 different calls - "ticking" means the female is not ready for mating; "rapping" tels the male that she is ready for mating.

Now that would be cool But I'd probably have to move them out of my bedroom But maybe not because I can sleep with a radio on. Are they real loud ?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Now that would be cool But I'd probably have to move them out of my bedroom But maybe not because I can sleep with a radio on. Are they real loud ?
    Occasionally, individual frogs can be heard in adjacent rooms. Duets, on the other hand, can be heard throughout house. I remember one time, one of the males was calling to the female, he was very loud, a couple of seconds later, the female started ticking and the male stopped calling immediately. Ticking by females will suppress calling males. However, when the females are ready, they will rap and you have a full concert going on.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

frogerman

I think both these girls are reticulated albinos due to the black eyes and faint dark circles on their backs which is pretty cool but the lps sold them as albinos Next time I pull them out of tank to do a good cleaning I will put them in shallow tank and get pics of their backs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I think both these girls are reticulated albinos due to the black eyes and faint dark circles on their backs which is pretty cool but the lps sold them as albinos Next time I pull them out of tank to do a good cleaning I will put them in shallow tank and get pics of their backs
    Jenste has had very good success with reticulated albinos. Mine are the typical albino with the red eyes.

frogerman

Jenste has had very good success with reticulated albinos. Mine are the typical albino with the red eyes.
    Ya I think I read one of her posts and that's how I realized what they are called I always knew they weren't true albinos due to the color of the eyes But I was worried that maybe they had a fungus on them due to their backs but then I noticed they were circles

Got a pic in the tank you moght be able to see the markings And thats red eye from the flash by btw

I guess 3rd pic on first post shows the markings better
    Last edited by frogerman; October 12th, 2010 at 05:07 PM.

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

I would also vote female (sorry for such a late response, it has been quite hectic around here lately!)

here is a picture I have of my albinos...
    you can see a reticulated albino, an albino, and a golden reticulated albino in this picture

their eye differences are also very noticeable.

from my batch of successful tadpoles, I had one that morphed into what I had originally believed to be albino, but closer examination leads me to believe it will be a reticulated or a leucistic....time will tell lol.

Thread Information