Thread: Afraid to buy plants

Greenlove

Red face Afraid to buy plants

I want to try real plants in my Gray tree frog tank but am afraid to buy them because some places spray them with chemicals. Where does everyone buy them? I would like to use pothos, broms and maybe ferns? Would that be ok?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

LittleDuudeIsAGirl

Default Re: Afraid to buy plants

i got some from home depot near my house, you just need to wash the leaves off.

those plants sound great pothos have nice large leaves..i also got an umbrella plant..im not sure the botanical name of it. it looks like little umbrellas. i know my DiVinci loves his umbrella plant he fits the perfect size of the leaves so he sleeps on a single leaf lol.

make sure there are not fertalizers in the soil..they are the small little red and green balls..the white chunks that are in the soil are just part of the soil..my mum did a lot of work with plants and knows a bit about them, she said those are not toxic so if you see those in the soil its ok.but them small balls red and green color those are chemicals..so you need to be carful..but just wash the leaves and you should be fine. (:

4. This member thanks LittleDuudeIsAGirl for this post:

Greenlove

Thank you Mary. That umbrella plant sounds cool, I will have to look for one. I will be sure to watch out for the fertilizers.

Paul Rust

Take the plants out of the pots and wash all the soil away and plant them in the substrate.

7. This member thanks Paul Rust for this post:

Viv

I get mine from American Plant and they supposudly do not use fertilizers of any sort but I still wash the leaves and the roots. I know they sell pothos and bromeiliads at my store but I don't know about any store near you

9. This member thanks Viv for this post:

bshmerlie

Also, don't be afraid to order plants online. Josh's Frogs - Herps Feeders and All The Reptile Supplies You need has a good selection of plants that are gauranteed to be pestiside free and they come in a few days. There are also many other places on line that carry many really cool and exotic tropical plants that you wont see at your local nursery and they're usually very inexpensive. You can also order various types of mosses that you can't find at your local shops. Use Google and even E-bay. Check it out.

11. This member thanks bshmerlie for this post:

wesleybrouwer

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDuudeIsAGirl View Post
    i got some from home depot near my house, you just need to wash the leaves off.

those plants sound great pothos have nice large leaves..i also got an umbrella plant..im not sure the botanical name of it. it looks like little umbrellas. i know my DiVinci loves his umbrella plant he fits the perfect size of the leaves so he sleeps on a single leaf lol.

make sure there are not fertalizers in the soil..they are the small little red and green balls..the white chunks that are in the soil are just part of the soil..my mum did a lot of work with plants and knows a bit about them, she said those are not toxic so if you see those in the soil its ok.but them small balls red and green color those are chemicals..so you need to be carful..but just wash the leaves and you should be fine. (:
    The white stuff out in the soil is just perlite/vermiculite.
    They use this or styrofoam as a cheap filling of the pots besides the soil,
    it has also the purpose of keeping it "open" in order for the roots to breath.

It's a natural product, so no harm done.

We have lots of terrarium suppliers selling plants that, as they say, are raised without any harmfull stuff used on them.
    Maybe black jungle has that as well?
    Not realy sure on what US suppliers there are,
    but in Europe i can provide you some good ones.

13. This member thanks wesleybrouwer for this post:

Greenlove

Cheri, when you say, "various mosses", is there any moss that is not ok? I just want to make sure I don't buy something that's not good for them. Thank you for your input.

wesleybrouwer

It's about the mosses itself,
    they are not bad for the frogs.
    But most of the moss species don't grow in the particular viv circumstances.
    Some good moss species to use in vivs are for example,

Java moss (Vesicularia dubyana),Selaginella spec.
    sheet moss, pillow moss, liverwort moss and the ones growing spontanicaly out of the ferntree panels.

Most of this moss species will do fine in a terrarium when met to their specific requirements(just like all plants).

If you decorate your viv with them,
    make sure to do this a while before you put in the animals,
    keep the moss "soaked" in order to adapt to you're viv.
    They will need a good start up, once they start growing nicely you can steadily decrease you're humidity level so they will adapt to those circumstances you want to keep youre frogs at.
    This is realy important since most moss species are grown submerged and need time to adapt to their emerged form.

Greenlove

Wow! Thanks for the rapid response Wesley. Very informative!

Thread Information