Thread: Picked up an albino...problem.

John911

Default Picked up an albino...problem.

We went to visit family out of state the last few days, so for the hell of it went on craigslist just to search for frogs on the way home. Found a 3" albino cranwelli for $15 that was on the way, so we made the call and got it.

The good. This guy is a pretty good size, and the owner said takes down pinkys well, and that's where the bad begins.

The previous owner got this guy in december, and at 3" svl I dunno if that's big enough. He has pretty much just been feeding it a pinky once a week to 2 weeks. Not a varied diet at all. Second, he gave us the frog in a small plastic keeper, the substrate was a mix of sand and water. I'm guessing this is what it was kept in. So we transfered him into a critter creeper we scooped up on the way lined with wet paper towel. This guy has a bit of a crooked underbite. So I'm definitely thinking he has metabolic bone disease or something. So I guess were gonna give this guy a good home and supplement his food like mad. If he looks a lil funny, that's cool with us. Hopefully he lives out a good, long life.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

gtr319

Default Re: Picked up an albino...problem.

Yey!! Another frog saved from a clueless owner!! Hope this works out with u man~~

John911

spec

i wouldn't post pics that big again rightly blurry and huge on my 27" moniter. I bet he got the underbite from the sand. I've read the sand can get in their mouth and act as a grinding stone in the hinge of the jaw. I dont imagine the frog will have a problem health wise beacause of the pinky's but what do i know lol. Lock jaw would be a coo name lol. anyhow, interested in hearing what others have to say

John911

Sorry about the pics, they are from my cell.

gtr319

i guess the underbite will not be the only you should be concerning now, the sand may cause stomach problems.. won't they?

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by John911 View Post
    This guy has a bit of a crooked underbite. So I'm definitely thinking he has metabolic bone disease or something.
    Definitely sounds like hypocalcemia (MBD)

John911

Fed it about 9 crickets. It couldn't really catch them by itself. If it managed to get one in its mouth it would kind of push it back out with its hands. Also seems too stay too upright on its front legs. Like it can't crouch down.

gtr319

ah... wish u and ur frog the best...

Thread Information